9. Something sweet and intimidating

I noticed him once in a while, he tasted my Vatha kulambu which I prepared taking so much care and putting so much of my gratitude. I got a smile when I noticed that he seemed to like it as he had extra rice with that compared to yesterday's Sambar and he didn't check his phone too.

Vijay came home earlier today. He told me that he didn't have lunch and I asked him to eat out of concern and I had finished eating lunch just before he arrived.

A week has passed since that argument we had, and though he was reluctant to talk to me, I took a step and started conversing with him. Surprisingly he didn't cut me off or got angry again instead he gave me a chance. He has to because we have no other option here.

When you're in an ignorant situation, all you need to have is a bit of courage and an abundance of acceptance to survive in it. Acceptance is the key to survival; I realized it and now I can see all the good and positive things here.

Suddenly, Vijay's eyes caught me when I am gawking at him, I immediately looked down and continue to wipe the countertop. I don't know why but my heart pounded at that mere glance of him. I didn't raise my head afterward; I don't want to. Three days before when I left the kitchen messy, he politely told me that I should keep the house clean and I thought it was a good thing so I am making sure to keep the house clean all the time since I have no better thing to do here and also to impress him. Yeah, I wanted to do that so that I can believe things have been normal between us as husband and wife.

Vijay came inside the kitchen with his plate, while he was washing it I peeked him in sideways and I smiled.

"You want coffee?" I asked when he again caught me.

"Yes," he nodded.

Why he's too handsome, the light sky blue shirt is good on him and his hair is messy but it showed him even more attractive.

I gave the coffee cup in his hands as he was sitting on the couch and staring at me already. Taking my cup, I walked outside as the chill wind is wafting around and the sky is so mesmerizing to see. I sat down on the front steps and sipped the hot coffee. I was wearing a full hand black and white t-shirt and black sweatpants; I didn't dress up specially. I am just like how I was before marriage.

The smell of green plants filled my nostrils, the one thing I enjoy these days is looking after this small garden. I recently planted mint and coriander.

Vijay came out and sat beside me. He has never done this before and now it feels like he starts to accept me. He smiled back at me and his piercing dark brown eyes delve me closely, and my heart started racing, acquainting me that something is happening or maybe changing in me. He won't smile often, occasionally when he enters home after work or before leaving home, or when we happened to lock eyes while sleeping in the bed he used to smile slightly. Though his lips smile, his eyes have never done that.

Whenever I look at someone, I first notice their eyes. It's not to judge them, it's not easy to do and I ain't great in doing that. It has a great power to show what's your underlying feeling, that's what I believe. But sometimes it made me wonder if that's true.

Like when I asked Sharath about marrying Vijay, he told me that was my decision but his eyes didn't agree with his statement. When I asked my dad whether I am his daughter in one of our fights, he staggered and his eyes showed fear. When I told my mother to stay with me while she was on her death bed, she assured me, yes but her eyes told the other.

All of that necessarily mean anything because I know just like me, Sharath had no interest in me, I am the only daughter to my dad and my mom doesn't know that she was going to die. So I never considered that much.

But Vijay is so different, I have never come across a pair of eyes like his. If we smile or sad or angry our eyes will show that. But his dark orbs were always void of emotions. Even if he smiles at me, his eyes don't reflect that. I have never seen someone like him.

Now, his eyes were intently looking at me and I couldn't guess what he was thinking about me.

"Is that rose, from that plant?" he asked me like he doesn't know the answer.
"Yes," I smiled and touched the rose on my neatly braided hair. He doesn't look like he likes it.

"You don't like it?" I asked without pretending.

"No," he nodded looking down. "I... planted all of that for you," he confessed. After a long time, I am hearing something so sweet from his soothing voice.

I can't help but stare at him in surprise and my lips were stretched out for a smile.

"When I first came to your house. I saw the rose plants in the backyard so I thought you like roses. After our engagement, I bought all colors of rose samplings and I planted it for you," he looked me in eyes.

My cheeks blushed and I eventually smiled. But then I felt bad for not able to understand his heart, he has thought to make me happy but all I did was disappoint and misjudge him. When I completely realized that I have hurt his feelings, I went a little closer him and asked.
"Are you still angry with me?"

"That's not anger. It's upsetting to know that you didn't consider me important," he sounded a bit sad.

How could he think like that? Yes, because I acted that way. I hated my situation but I like him as a person.

I don't know where I got that courage and how I get that idea. Instead of apologizing I took his hand and said, "You're important to me and I won't do that again."

He smiled hearing that, a gentle wind blowing over me gave me this blissful feeling. For the first-ever time, my heart pounded to hold someone's hand, to see someone's smile and just to be near to someone.

I gulped down the excitement and turned my gaze to avoid this weird situation. I decided to take my hand but Vijay held it firmly when I proceeded.

"Wait,"

"You look beautiful today," he said. And I felt myself flying high in the sky.

I smiled because no guy ever complimented me before and I turned down by these overwhelming feelings.

"Aarthi?"

"You like me?"
"Yes," I nodded shyly.

He came closer to me so that our knees were pressing each other. Our closeness made me nervous but I know I shouldn't be, especially to him. I allowed him to take both of my hands.

Slowly he leaned to my lips holding my hands and I closed my eyes slightly moving backward.

"Why you're going back?" he asked and I opened my eyes.

"We are outside," I gave a silly reason but I am so nervous.

"So what? No one is here to watch us," he said and placed his hand on my neck.

The touch of his hot lips on my lips arouse goosebumps on my skin and I clasped his shirt. I slightly opened my lips when he licked my lower lip. He deepened the kiss; I felt so hot, intimidating, and edgy.

The kiss lasted for a few moments and when Vijay left my lips, I couldn't have the courage to see his face so I hugged him. He hugged me and caressed my back.

"Do you want to watch a movie tomorrow?"
His sleek yet rough voice indeed charmed me more than anything.

"Hmm," I nodded still in his embrace. Since tomorrow is Sunday, he must be in the house. He's not like what I thought, he's a nice person.

"Look at me," he pulled out from the hug.

I looked at his handsome face. "Don't argue with me again," he told

"I won't," I agreed with a smile and he had a satisfied grin hearing that.