32. Messed up Past

"Mariam was your mother's name."

"Your mom is my younger sister. We were living in Theni at that time. We are financially struggling and we lost our father early when we were kids She's just eighteen when she met your father, he came to his relative's house which is near to our home. They somehow met and started loving. She's too young to control her heart. I don't know many things because I was recently got married at that time and living in Coimbatore. My mom has warned her to stop but she didn't listen at all."

"Then one day I got the news that she eloped with him. My mom was devastated. That man is quite rich, Hindu and his relatives went crazy after they eloped, they turned to my mom and me and yelled all the worst things that a woman shouldn't hear."

"That's one of the worst times of my life, but I am happy that she's happy with someone she loves. They got married and lived in Kodaikanal without contacting anyone and your father's relatives searched them but after a certain time, they let it go. I brought my mother with me and we lived in Coimbatore. We thought one day she will come back but..." she cried and my heart rushed to hear what happened to my mother.

"After a year, one day we got the news that your mother hanged herself due to a fight with her husband. You know what that's the biggest lie, they killed your mother and your father refused to take you after that. He said you're not his child."

What my aunt said stopped my breath. There I realized that this is going to be traumatic than I thought.

"What? Is that true?" Vijay asked in place of me since I am just sitting there like a lifeless person.
"Yes, her father's relative is all so into their caste and they somewhat found their place. First, they acted nice and accepting, then they changed your father. He's a bastard and a coward fell in that sweet words of his relatives. You know people like him should be hanged in the public. And your mother is the greatest fool, she must have contacted us if things started going wrong," telling me that she started crying.

"So then we took you to Coimbatore and we couldn't keep you because I am pregnant at that time, my mother was in her death bed and we couldn't afford our living. I am so sorry about that," she held my hand.

"It's okay, it's not your fault," I consoled her.

"What happened then?"

"We gave you up, hoping at least you will get a better life one day. My husband left you at that hospital,"

"What about that man?" I asked without addressing him as my father.

"As nothing happened he got married again," my Aunt said.

"I saw him a few times when I am living in Coimbatore. He's currently living there I think," she said wiping her tears using the end of her saree.

"We found about all of these things through their neighbors. Your mom has cried to them about the family issues just a day before she died."

"We couldn't fight for your mother, because it looked moreover a suicide and his family silenced everything by money. We just left that matter because she has chosen that life and we thought it's her fate. What else we can do after she died," she said that sadly.

"All I am praying is that bastard should rot in hell," she said.

"What is his name?" Vijay asked.

"His name is Gunashekar,"

"Oh," he nodded thinking something.

"I am happy to see you like this, you got a good life," my Aunt said.

"Yes," I nodded wiping my tears. "I was adopted by a wonderful family. But both of my parents died recently and I came to know that I was adopted. So I decided to find my actual parents," I said.

"Better you have never searched them," she said and I realized my mistake now.

"That's okay. I want to know my actual family and I am so happy to find you," I held her hand.

"I am happy too," she smiled.

"What is he doing in Coimbatore?" Vijay asked.

"I think he owns a mill," she said.

"Okay," Vijay said.

Then we talked about my mother sometimes, and she gave me an old photo of her. My mother looked exactly like me. I was so happy to see her at least in this way. Then my Aunt asked about my life and she's so happy that I am doing well. She introduced her son and her daughter in law and they were having two kids.

They are all good now and she asked me to visit her whenever I can. I agreed and had dinner in her house after much compulsion of everyone.

Before leaving home, she said, "Don't try to see your father. But if you wish then go and slap him on his face in place of me."

"I am not going to see him," I said and got inside the car.

Vijay drove slowly as much as confused I am, "Aarthi, I think I know this man," Vijay said to me when I am sadly looking at this unfamiliar place.

I turned to him, "Really?"

"Yes, my grandfather knows this man, he owns a mill and I should confirm it with my grandpa," he immediately stopped the car in the midway to make a call. I didn't stop him and kept silent. I took my mom's photo and looked at her innocent face.

If only that man doesn't leave her then she must be alive by now with me. I can't help but cry thinking about her fate.

Why this has to be so hard?

Why I even came here to find this?

What I should do after this? I heaved a sigh and looked at Vijay who's talking on the phone.

He came inside the car, and told, "My doubt is right, we found your father!"

Ah... please do vote and comment.

Now I miss writing romcom like Her Secret smile. Do you all think I should start a story in that genre?