😊💔Seventh Wheel💔😊

Lance has always had insecurities, but they just got worse when he came into space. He always thought he was never good enough. The garrison was no different. He worked hard on his piloting but it goes unseen by the instructors. Hell, the only reason why he got into fighter's class was that Keith dropped out. Being a paladin of Voltron puts Lance on the spot. He needs to be a good pilot because he just has to be. The recent mission he had to go on with his teammates is a prime example of the failures he has accumulated since the garrison. The team got mad at him for a little mistake that he didn't mean to do. He accidentally flew out of formation to form Voltron and it cost them a load of information on the Galra's next move. Once they got returned to the castle using a wormhole Lance got yelled at. Shiro lectured the Cuban for 3 hours before he gave up. 

At the time, he couldn't feel anything. The numbness settled beneath his skin and he no longer cared for what the team leader was lecturing about. Lance's mind shut down and turned on autopilot. He nodded when he was supposed to but in general, he wasn't listening to a word Shiro was saying. Lance's eyes flicked around the room,  taking in the gazes he was receiving from his teammates. They didn't look at all angry as they used to be when they first returned. It was probably because of the look he was giving them. Eventually, Lance grew tired of Shiro preaching and talking about teammate work and walked out of the lounge. He heard Shiro yell his name, but he kept walking. All Lance wanted to do was hide. Hide from the shame and embarrassment. So he did, in his room.

That's where he was right now, sitting on his bed and staring at his hands. He would normally talk with his older sister about how low he felt, but she isn't here. There's no one here for him to lean on. He's alone.

"Lance?"

Lance flinched in his bed at the voice at his door. He recognizes that voice by heart. It was Keith's. He didn't respond to Keith's call.  

The doors flew open and footsteps entered the room. Lance lifted his head up and saw Keith standing in front of him. "May I sit?" he asks.

The brunette shrugged his shoulders, indicating he didn't mind. The half-Galran sat on the empty spot beside Lance.

"I think we should talk about what happened during the mission," Keith said placing his hand on top of the males'.

Lance sighed. "What's there to talk about? I messed up the mission and set us back by how many days?" 

Keith scratched his cheek. "Uhm.."

"Exactly." The brunette pushed himself off his bed and stood up. "I mean, I messed up so many times it's practically a miracle we aren't dead,"

"Hey," Keith paused, "Anyone could've made the same mistake you made."

Lance whipped his head around. "Yeah, well, no one did but me!"

It was all his fault and he knows it. Allura mentioned how important the mission was and yet he took it as a joke. There's no getting that information back. Lance trembled, wiping away the tears that were threatening to come out. He sniffled and hiccuped. "No one did what I did..and that's because I'm an idiot Keith."

A sad smile plastered on Lance's face as he continued to wipe away his tears. "All I do is mess up and cause problems. Why am I even a paladin? Why am I even here?!"

Keith got up from the bed and gave Lance a hug from behind. He squeezed his waist tightly as he buried his face into the taller boy's back. "Don't say that about yourself, Lance. You're here because the blue lion chose you."

"But why did she choose me?!"

"I don't know the answer to that Lance. You'll have to ask her that."

Lance sunk, defeated. Keith doesn't have the answers to his problems and he knows that. He'll have to bond with blue if he wants her to tell him why she chose him. He looked down at the pale hand wrapped around him. Keith's touch is so warm. "I feel like the seventh wheel of the team," he said. "It always seems like my efforts go to waste even when I really try."

"I see your efforts."

"Hard to believe." Lance chuckled dryly. "You seem to have the most problems with me."

Keith pulled away from Lance and stared at him in disbelief. "I only have a problem with you because you keep pestering me! You make fun of everything I do. You even make fun of my hair!"

"I do it out of appreciation!" Lance shot back."

"Appreciation of what?! Me dropping out of the garrison?!"

The brunette went quiet after what Keith said. He had something to tell him but that was for next time when the timing was right. Dropping his feelings down on him would only make the situation worst. This wasn't the ideal place to tell him. A quiet sigh came from the raven-haired boy, "Ignoring what you said before, Lance, you are the reason why we're where we are today. You are so selfless. You put everyone else needs before your own. You give everyone love that at the end of the day you barely have any for yourself. Lance, you aren't the seventh wheel. We're a team and you are so valuable to everyone. Without you, everyone would've had mental breakdowns including me. Everyone makes mistakes and I'm sorry that we made you feel that way. But, know that Voltron needs you...I need you." Keith admits, now standing in front of the brunette.

"I swear that's the gayest shit you've ever said to me, Keith." Joked Lance.

Keith face palmed himself and headed towards Lance's door. "Good to know you're still able to crack jokes when I'm trying to comfort you."

Lance laughed, "It's how I cope. Thank you Keith for comforting me." 

The half-galran looked over his shoulder with a small grin. "Anytime."  

The doors flew opened and shut shortly after the raven left. Lance sat on his bed, blushing. "Jesus Keith."
~

A/N: I decided to edit this chapter since it was cringy.

Words: 1052