Part 16: Awkward?

MONSE HAUGHTONSeptember 15,2018Freeidge, California_

MONSE HAUGHTON
September 15,2018
Freeidge, California
_

"CAN YOU PLEASE HOLD STILL?"I asked my brother Derek as I stopped parting his hair. I was braiding it and I had only two more braids left but so far this part has been coming out crooked for me.

I heard him sigh,"Monse I'm holding still the best way I can."

"Clearly not best enough."I mumbled,"You have two braids left and you keep on moving your head to look down at your phone."

"I was texting."He told me as I attempted to part his hair again and succeeded in doing so.

"Who? Dad?"I asked and bit my lip in focus releasing it after the part was perfect. I put the comb in the unbraided part so it wouldn't get in the way of me braiding.

"Nah."He shook his head slightly since I started braiding.

"A girl?"I asked hopefully and leaned to look at the screen but he moved it away from my gaze so I couldn't see it at all.

"What is up with y'all?"He asked turning off the screen.

"What do you mean?"

"You and everyone else in this house worried about if I am seeing someone. First it was dad who asked, then Aaliyah and Rashad asking too and now you."

"Maybe because we're curious."I shrugged,"It's been year's since you've dated someone De."It was true it has been year's, The last time Derek dated someone was when me and Rashad were freshmen but It didn't even last long.

It lasted not even a month, and even though I didn't really like her that much. I didn't expect it to end that fast after it barely started.

"And it will be even more."Derek retorted,"I don't want to or even a relationship."

"Why is that?"I kept my gaze focused on his hair finishing up the braid.

"Have you seen Rashads problems?"He asked,"If any type of relationship comes with that I don't want it."

"His problems aren't that bad."I shook my head.

De turned to me since I finished the braid I was on,"Have you seen these past few days? Vero's literally been coming here nonstop since he stopped talking to her."I didn't say anything against that because she has been coming here since my brother stopped talking to her.