Pups Save Ryder

JJcoolthe1st: I'll do your request once I'm done with the previous ones, okay?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Part 2 of "Pups Save the Snowboarders". Paw Patrol is known for saving and helping other people. But when the pups get sick or hurt, it's usually Ryder who's taking care of them. But what if it was Ryder who needs help for a change?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was midnight.

Marshall watched as the pups slept soundly cuddled up against Ryder and Jake. As much as he wished that he could join them, he had to work.

The medic pup sighed heavily as the stress of the previous day weighed on him. It wasn't the fact that he had to save someone from a life-threatening situation that fazed him so badly. It was the fact that it was someone close to him that was in a life-threatening situation.

Marshall let out a strangled sob that he was forced to muffle lest he woke up the others. He was sad, scared, and stressed all at the same time. As much as he wanted to break down and cry, the others needed him to be strong. They see him as a savior, someone that could get Ryder and Jake out of their cold-induced situation.

The truth is that he can't. He was just one pup that was forced to handle tough situations. He had seen death more than the other pups combined and he was scared that two will be added more to the list.

A soft groan pulled him out of his thoughts and he forced himself to keep his expression calm and collected. It wouldn't due to the others if they saw him in a weak state.

"M-marshall?" Ryder's voice was so weak that he could barely hear him despite sitting next to him.

"Ryder? You're awake!" Marshall whispered with a hint of happiness.

"W-what happened?" Ryder tried to move around but was stopped by Marshall.

"Don't move. What was the last thing you remember?" the medic pup said while checking his vitals.

"We rescued Chickaletta," the ten-year-old answered, confused as to why his pup was asking him that.

"How many times?"

"452nd time."

Marshall exhaled. "Ryder, that was three days ago. We rescued that chicken five more times in the past three days."

"W-what? What happened? Why do I feel cold? Why am I in Jake's cabin? Why-"

"Easy, Ryder. Deep breaths," the dally said in a soothing voice. "You and Jake got into an accident a few hours ago and you need to rest."

"A-accident?" Ryder whispered in a small voice and it broke Marshall's heart to see his usually calm owner acting like a lost puppy.

"Yes, Ryder," he said, nuzzling his cheek. "I'll explain later. For no, you've got to rest, okay?"

"O-okay," Ryder smiled at him before closing his eyes and going back to sleep.

That was when Marshall finally broke down. He got out of the cabin and let his tears out. He let out all the pain, the stress, and the fear that he was keeping in as he sobbed against his paws. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Morning came and it looked like the dally hasn't got any sleep. Still, he tried to keep himself positive as he checked over Ryder, who was now fully awake.

"Well, the good news is Ryder is recovering," Marshall smiled as he put away the thermometer. "However, he still has a looooong way to go."

The pups cheered and howled in happiness and Ryder smiled at them.