Immortality

Requested by uwugin on Instagram

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dogs never did live as long as humans, and the Paw Patrol pups aren't an exception to it. In fact, they look up to humans like they are immortals.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chase was never the one to be sentimental on something, but he thought this would be a good excuse to be one.

He and the others were already getting old. Their muzzles are turning gray and they can barely walk far into the Lookout.

And yet... Ryder remains unchanged. His hair was still as brown and spiky as ever, and his face still held that youthful look in it. He may have been courting Katie for months now, but he was still the same Ryder they knew and loved.

Ryder... he wasn't just their owner. He was their father figure. This is true for most of the pups who were orphaned before they joined the Paw Patrol. Hell, even Chase sees him as a father figure, especially after his own father died a year after he joined.

Ryder was a human, and they were dogs. They were never meant to live as long. But despite this, Chase cherished every moment he spent with his owner. 

The shepherd sneaked a look on the others. Rubble had lost his talent in devouring his food bowl in seconds over the years. Zuma still loved the water and was spending most of his time on the beach that Chase was afraid he's gonna die there.

Rocky, despite not being able to create things anymore, was still as brilliant as ever. He gives his ideas for Ryder to create and improve. 

Skye... she was his mate. They might not be able to have pups because of their job, he was still happy he had a chance to cultivate their love.

As for Marshall, the dally had been by his side through thick and thin. They were so close that they practically consider each other as brothers.

And to think that all these precious dogs would be dying anytime soon... Chase couldn't even bear the thought.

But what about Ryder? He must have always known that he was going to outlive them. His pups. His children. Chase couldn't fathom how much it would hurt Ryder to not only witness their deaths, but also replace them.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice his owner entering the hangout area and kneeling in front of him.

"Chase?" Ryder whispered, his voice deeper than he remembered it to be.

"Yes, Ryder sir?" the shepherd croaked out.

He could tell that Ryder was struggling to keep his tears at bay.

"It's time," he whispered, his voice breaking, and it's not because of puberty.

It's time. Those were the two words that Chase dreaded to hear. Because it meant that it would be the last time they would be seeing their owner.

Because Ryder would be bringing them to the vet for euthanasia.

"Will you be with us, Ryder?" Chase whispered as he carried them all in his ATV.

"Until the very end."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now where did I put my tissues? 

Anyway, there will be a part 2 of this one, which will be in Ryder's POV.

Also, I posted a new Paw Patrol book entitled "Legends". It revolves around the death of each of the Paw Patrol member. Book in my profile.