Hold On

I don't wanna let go / I know I'm not that strong
Hold on I still want you / Come back I still need you

Ryder was woken up by odd sounds, like someone scratching on his door.

He lay still in his bed, wondering if the sound was just in his imagination, but the sound repeated, and it was coming from his bedroom door.

Ryder was confused as he made his way through the door. He usually had the doggy door open when he sleeps, so the pups can get to him if there's either an emergency or if they had a nightmare.

To his surprise, he saw a small heap of something that he recognized to be his pup, Marshall.

Ryder was surprised to see that Marshall managed to make his way from his pup house to his room, considering that in the last few days, the dally was in the dumps. He barely ate or drank, and most of the time, Ryder had to force him to do both.

Those thoughts went on the back of his mind as he addressed his pup. "Marshall, what are you doing here?"

As expected, the dally didn't reply. He only let out a small whimper, something that Ryder wouldn't have heard if it wasn't deathly quiet in the room.

I feel you in to feel your heartbeat

Ryder's eyes softened as he picked up Marshall in his arms. Now that he's in close proximity with his pup, he could hear his labored breathing, and it pained him to know that his pup is suffering.

He went to lay down Marshall on his bed so he can sleep beside him. As Ryder laid down beside his pup, he couldn't help but wonder what life would be without Marshall. He immediately scrapped that thought. It was too painful for him to even think about.

"R-Ryder?" Marshall croaked out.

"What is it, Marshall?" Ryder whispered in reply.

"Love you."

Can you hear me screaming, "please don't leave me?"

Ryder's eyes filled with tears as he noticed how difficult it was for Marshall to speak. He wanted to shush him and tell him that he doesn't have to speak, but he decided to let him speak.

"Love you, Ryder," Marshall croaked out. "Love you and the other pups."

"We love you too, Marshall," Ryder whispered against the dally's head. "I'm sure the other pups would feel the same."

Hold on, I still need you

A small smile came into Marshall's face as he buried his head into Ryder's chest. Little did Ryder know that it would be the last time he would see that smile.

"Sleep tight, Marshall," he murmured into the dally's ear as he felt his pup's breathing go heavier. "I'll be here when you wake up."

But he didn't. When Ryder awoke the next morning, he could still feel the pup in his hands, but he couldn't feel his heart beating anymore.

Come back, I still need you

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The song title is Hold On by Chord Overstreet. I had this song stuck in my head for days.