Illusion

Chase wakes up in a hospital without know how he ended up there. Ryder reaches out to help him, but everything is not what it seemed to be.

Trigger warning: mentions of death and suicide

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

White.

That was the first thing that Chase saw when he opened his eyes. He did not know why or where he was as the memory of the past few days had seemingly disappeared from his brain.

Stretching out his legs, he got up from where he lay on the bed. His nose immediately registered the smell of alcohol and medicine and knew that he was in a hospital.

But why was he in a hospital? Did something happen? If that's the case, then why doesn't he feel any pain?

His questions went unanswered as the door from his room opened to admit a familiar-looking boy, the very person that Chase had wanted to see so badly.

"Ryder!" the shepherd barked happily as he leaped on his owner's arms.

"Hey, Chase," Ryder greeted back with equal enthusiasm as he scratched the back of his pup's left ear. "Am I glad to see you."

Chase didn't answer, instead, he just continued licking his owner's face.

"Down, boy," Ryder chuckled as he felt his face dripping with dog saliva. "We have an eternity for that."

"Sorry, Ryder," Chase said, backing away.  "It's just... I'm so happy to see you."

Ryder chuckled once again and pointed towards the door. "Come on, Chase. Let's go."

The shepherd happily followed his owner out, howling the whole way. Strangely enough, no one seemed to be botherd by the loud noise.

"So, what do you want to do now that you're out of the hospital?" Ryder asked him while leading the way through the hallways.

"Well, I want to get back home, for one," Chase replied.

There was a flash of something from the boy's eyes, but it disappeared before Chase could decipher what it is. "How about we go to the pup park to play for a while?"

The shepherd wondered about his owner's unusual behavior but shrugged it off. He knew that Ryder would tell him if it really bothers him so much. Instead, he just nodded happily at the suggestion.

"I don't know why, but it feels quite some time since I played in the pup park!" Chase barked happily, oblivious to Ryder's conflicting emotions.

You have no idea, Chase, he thought. You have no idea.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The two spent quite some time in the empty pup park, playing with each other. Chase couldn't help but remember the time when there's only the two of them, before the Paw Patrol even started.

Speaking of the Paw Patrol...

"Ryder?" Chase asked as they sat down on the grass, watching the sunset overlooking the bay.

"What is it, Chase?"

"Where are the other pups?"

The shepherd noticed his owner tense at his question and wondered what was bothering him.

Maybe the strangeness of the town bothered him? It has been unusually quiet around them. The streets that was once full of life were deserted. Not to mention that both the pup park and the beach are empty too.

"They're at the Lookout," Ryder simply replied.

His answer only prompted more questions in Chase's mind. "Is there something wrong? Did they not want to visit me?"