Brothers

"I love you, so I'm letting you go. I'll be your best friend, your brother, because that's all I can do."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't speak.

I just stood there with a fixed smile as he told me how much he loved her.

Hi, my name is Marshall, and I'm the fire pup of Paw Patrol. I live in the lookout with our owner Ryder and five other pups.

Chase, the police pup of the Paw Patrol, is my best friend. We've been together since we were little pups to the point that we were practically brothers.

But I wanted something else from him.

You see, a few months ago, I started feeling weird around Chase. My heart was racing, and my stomach was fluttering so much that it makes me feel nauseous.

At first, I thought I was sick. I combed through all of my medical texts, but I found nothing that matches the symptoms that I've been experiencing.

Then I talked to Ryder.

It was embarrassing. I told him all the things that I've been feeling, and he just chuckled at me.

"Oh, Marshall. You've been growing up," he said fondly before telling me that I was falling in love with Chase.

I didn't want to believe it, but the more I stared at Chase, the more I realize that Ryder was right. I am falling in love with my best friend.

I was so scared. What if he doesn't like me back? I don't want to ruin our friendship because of that.

But today, I made a decision. I'm going to confess my love for Chase.

It started normally enough. We were playing pupball outside the Lookout when I asked Chase if I can talk to him in private.

"What's wrong, Marshall?" he asked me in concern which made my heart skip a beat.

"N-nothing. It's just... do you like someone?" I nervously stuttered, refusing to look at him in the eye.

"Like someone? As in like 'like' someone?" Chase asked to which I nodded.

"To be honest? Yes, I do." Chase started to smile dreamily as my breath caught in my throat. "She's really cute and funny, and..."

Suddenly, my brain stopped responding as Chase continued to speak.

I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't speak.

I just stood there with a fixed smile as the person I loved told me how much he loved another pup.

Oh how naive I am, thinking that Chase could ever like me back. It was obvious since day one that he had a crush on a certain cockapoo pup, and I was a fool to get my hopes up.

I just hope he can't hear my breaking heart.

"So, do you think I should ask her out?" Chase said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, definitely," I smiled at him, hoping that he wouldn't see the tears building in the back of my eyes.

"Since I told you about mine, is there any pup you're interested on?" he asked, smiling wryly. "Like a certain snow pup around here?"

The only pup I like around here is you, Chase. "Nah, I'm not interested in any pup around here."

"Oh, come on, Marshall. Just tell me. We're brothers, right?" Chase said, smiling happily.

"Yeah... brothers." 

And that's just where I belong.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I don't think it's obvious, but my favorite pairing in this fandom is Chase x Marshall. I just find them adorable (and the stories could be so flexible, from simple cuddly brothers to a full out romance).