𝘅𝗶. chapter eleven.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xi. CHAPTER ELEVEN

DAMAGED PRIDE┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

DAMAGED PRIDE
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

BRIAR SPENT the rest of the day in her own bed. She hadn't been able to eat much, and Madame Pomfrey told her that the only thing that would make her feel better was a good, long sleep. She'd taken a Sleeping Potion, and by the time she awoke, it was dark outside.

As Briar slid out of bed and tested her feet on the ground, she found that they felt as stable as ever. It had probably just been exhaustion, as Madame Pomfrey had claimed. A tapping noise at her window alerted her to the fact that her owl, was trying to get inside.

Briar quickly opened the window, and took the letter that the owl was carrying. It was a reply from her mother and she opened it eagerly, hoping it might have answers to some of her questions. As she scanned the contents, however, Briar was sorely disappointed. Her mother had omitted the topic of Lucius completely, not mentioning anything about him at all. The majority of the letter talked about preparations for Lorcan's wedding. She read it half-heartedly, before reaching the last paragraph of the letter.

            Oh, and dear, you must be mistaken about that hairclip. Your Grandmother's goblin-made clip does not have any green flowers on it- it's merely silver with a green finishing. The one you found was one of those horrible Muggle pieces someone gifted her. I suppose she never got around to disposing of them. It's just as well that you broke it- I would have thrown it out myself if I'd known that you were wearing Muggle jewellery.

           The letter ended after that, and Briar scrunched it up in her fist. Why was her mother avoiding the question of what was wrong with Lucius? How could she ask her to take care of him, yet not even mention what was wrong? Briar was certain that her family was hiding something from her, and she wanted to know what it was. She wasn't a child. If Lucius could handle it, so could she.

        There was a knock on her dormitory door, and Briar frowned. None of her dorm mates would feel the need to knock.

        "Come in!"

          A small second-year girl walked in, looking rather nervous. She took a deep breath and looked up at Briar. "Lucius Malfoy is downstairs. He says that he wants to see you, if you're awake."

         "Oh. Thank you."

           The girl scurried away and the platinum blonde sighed, throwing the crumpled letter to a corner of the room. She didn't want to deal with Lucius, but she supposed it was unavoidable. The only reason he hadn't already screamed at her was because she'd looked like she would faint. Now that he saw she was feeling better, he wouldn't be soft.