𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃. chapter twenty four.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xxiv. CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR.

 CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

JAMES BOND.
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

LILY AND BRIAR woke up late the next morning. They trudged sleepily down the stairs after breakfast, having stayed up most of the night chatting. Mrs. Evans seemed a little annoyed when she saw them.

          "Really? Is this the time to be getting up?" she scolded. She didn't sound particularly angry; just a little frustrated. "I've been cleaning up all morning, and those boys are coming for dinner; I'll have to cook for them, goodness knows how much they eat! I know teenage boys; their stomachs are bottomless pits! And the garden is in desperate need of a weeding..." Mrs. Evans sat down with as sigh, one arm on her back. "I'm getting too old for this."

        Briar looked at Mrs. Evans, suddenly feeling guilty. She felt awful for making her do so much work. It was different at her own home; house elves did everything, but Briar couldn't even imagine how much there would be to do around the house if they didn't have them.

          "Mum, you're not getting too old," Lily told her, with a comforting smile. "Why don't you go up to bed? You look tired."

         "And who'll cook for tonight?"

         Briar smiled at Lily. "We will."

         Briar was almost like an excited child around the kitchen. She found everything so fascinating that Lily couldn't help but laugh at her. Briar had never cooked in her life, and although Lily was a little better, she'd never cooked for seven people. But they had a huge recipe book that Mrs. Evans had instructed them to follow precisely.

         "No, wait. I need more flour, it's too sticky," Briar complained, her hands up the elbows in batter. "Where's the flour?"

        "To your right," Lily instructed. She was stirring a dark red sauce on the stove, and she paused for a second, leaning over to hand Briar another packet of flour. Briar tore it open, and started measuring it into a cup. "Briar, do you remember how much butter goes into this?"

          "About a stick, I suppose. I don't think it really matters. Have you finished with the tomatoes?"

        Lily's eyes widened. "The tomatoes! No, I knew I was forgetting something. Oh no, I need a knife, I need a knife..."

         "There's one on the counter."

          "Don't be silly, that's a bread knife, I can't use that to chop vegetables!"

         "The tomato is actually a fruit."

       "I don't care whether it's a vegetable or a fruit, the pasta sauce will taste awful without it...."