𝘅𝘃𝗶. chapter sixteen.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xvi. CHAPTER SIXTEEN

 CHAPTER SIXTEEN

HOUSE LOYALTY.
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

BRIAR HAD TO ADMIT, she felt guilty at dinner that evening. From where she sat at the Slytherin table, she could see that Black was nowhere around. There was no doubt that he was in Slughorn's office, sorting out sloth's brains because of her. Briar considered making it up to him later, but she decided against it. Why should she feel bad, anyway? He was the one who'd distracted her by getting too close and saying some nonsense about her eyes.

She ate quickly, and headed back down to the Slytherin common room once she was done. Whoever had said sixth year was difficult hadn't been joking; Briar found herself piled up with schoolwork at almost all times. Maybe it was her own fault for taking so many NEWTs. After her OWL results had turned out rather impressive, Briar's parents hadn't really bothered about what classes she took for her sixth and seventh year. As long it wasn't something stupid like Muggle Studies or History of Magic, they were satisfied.

Briar walked down the corridor, her shoes clacking noisily on the stone tile. It was silent, mainly because she'd left dinner early, and everyone was still there. Briar jumped when she heard squeals, and a pair of second-year girls came sprinting down the corridor towards her.

"Stop, there! What's wrong with you two?" Briar demanded, stepping in their path so they had to stop. The two girls looked terrified, and they opened and closed their mouths in horror.

"Duelling-in the-corridor," one of them managed to choke out. "Older students, they're just throwing spells at each other, it's awful!"

The other girl nodded in agreement, and Briar frowned, worried. Who was stupid enough to duel in the middle of the corridor and scare the younger students? Pulling out her wand, she glanced at the two girls. "Run, get a teacher. Anyone will do, these idiots are going to be in big trouble."

The girls nodded and ran away while Briar headed in the direction they'd come from, wand out. She could hear voices yelling as she rounded the corridor, and she picked up her pace. The yelling was getting louder, and Briar was certain that there were more students that she'd originally thought.

When she finally turned the corner, she realized she was right. Briar saw almost seven or eight people in the clearing, all shooting spells. There were a number of Slytherins on one side, including Lucius, Bellatrix and Snape. They had their wands out and were screaming curses, as jets of light shot towards James Potter and his three friends, who were trying desperately to defend themselves.

"Are you all insane?" Briar yelled, horrified. She watched as Severus Snape dangled Pettigrew by his ankle from the ceiling. The mousy Gryffindor was screaming in terror, and Briar glared. "Severus, put him down right now!"