Chapter 1

Author's note: This is a short, introductory chapter. 

(Y/N) = Your Name

Summer had finally arrived, and it was getting late, but the weather was still beautiful. The sky was a mixture of blue and purple with fluffy white clouds drifting lazily by, it looked a lot like an illustration from a fantasy book. You were on your way to True Cross Campus Town and very eager to catch up with your cousin, Hana. Only a year had passed since you last saw one another but it felt like it had been much longer. In that time, she had enrolled at an unusual school called True Cross Academy, while you had decided to stay back and file documents (unsuccessfully) for a living – you often wondered why you even chose work over school, especially since you had a hard time keeping a job. You left your last job due to an issue with how the business was being managed. Hana was a few years younger than you, but at times it felt like she was maturing much quicker than you were. Although you were by no means childish, you just had other interests.

Staring out of the window, you started daydreaming about True Cross Campus Town. You'd heard a lot about it from your friends and ex work colleagues, but you'd never visited it yourself. The train journey to Tokyo had been pleasant but you were keen to get off and stretch your arms and legs. Your right arm was resting heavily in a sling and was starting to ache from the long journey. You'd been bitten by a dog a few days before and had to have a few stitches.

You suddenly heard a loud screeching as you were jerked forward from your seat. With your left arm failing to grab at anything to save you, you faceplanted into the chair in front of you. Thankfully no one else was in your compartment to see. Rubbing blood away from your nose and muttering a barrage of curse words under your breath, you walked to the compartment door to see what was happening. However, you couldn't see much. The other compartments were completely pitch black, the lights had gone out and the train was no longer moving. You debated on walking down the length of the train to ask an attendant what was happening, but you decided to sit back down and wait.

Just as you sat back in your seat, the compartment door burst open and you screamed. A giant dog – no, a giant monster barrelled in and aggressively charged in your direction. With limited mobility and nothing substantial to defend yourself with, you grabbed your bag and threw it at the monster's face. Clothes, paper and money exploded around it.

"Go away!" You yelled pathetically at the creature. It swung a giant paw in your direction and you instinctively ducked, it narrowly missed your head. Straightening up, you inhaled deeply and bellowed, "Leave me alone!"

The creature paused, unsure what to do. It wasn't used to humans standing up for themselves. It shook its head and dived at you, knocking you to the floor. Your head collided with the hard ground. The weight of its body pressed down heavily on your injured arm and chest. You felt winded and powerless, breath rapidly escaped your lungs and stars appeared before your eyes. You tried to fight back but your vision was failing, everything around you got darker and darker.

Blackness.