Chapter 32

The hydra crashed through the temple as it continued to grow, multiple heads sprouted from its giant, snake-like body and within seconds, they all turned their attention to you as you ran away with Yume pulling at your arm.

"You need to get out of here!" Yume demanded, "That thing is going to kill everyone in sight!"

"I can't just let that happen!" You panted, wanting to free your arm from his grasp.

"You have no way of stopping it now, you need to get away from here and contact your superiors. Only higher ranking exorcists can put an end to this monster now!"

You shook your head, "He's not just going to let me get away, so how am I even going to call them?" A giant head struck at you and Yume pushed you out of the way, creating a gap between the two of you.

"Fine!" He yelled, "Give me your phone and I'll contact them!"

You threw your phone to Yume as you continued to run away from Hanzo, looking for a place you could lead him to that would get him away from other innocent people. "Call Yukio!" You screamed to him.

You spotted a large barren area; the buildings had been abandoned and were waiting to be demolished. You ran for it with Hanzo following behind and you narrowly dodged another attack, he struck at you with a mouth full of sharp fangs but struck a pile of bricks instead.

You skidded into a building and pressed your body against a wall. Ryūnosuke caught up to you, looking badly injured, "I'm sorry but I can't fight a demon of this magnitude," he apologised, "But I can give you this!" He opened his mouth wide and with some difficulty, he coughed up a white and blue sword.

"Where did this come from?" You asked in shock, swiftly picking up the sword and wiping the handle dry with your t-shirt.

"It was entrusted to me by Sam-"

A giant head came crashing through the wall and there was a cloud of smoke as its jaws collided with Ryūnosuke. He disappeared in a cloud before he got to say any more, "Ryūnosuke!" You cried out, a mixture of pain and anger burning through you.

You swung the sword towards Hanzo and managed to make contact with the tip of his nose. He pulled back, "Why are you so reluctant to be mine?!" He hissed loudly.

You ran from the building and made your way towards another one not too far away. All of the hydra's heads were fixated on you, angrily following you and smashing through anything else that got in its way.

Inside the building, you noticed a set of stairs that led up two floors above you. You ran up them without any kind of plan, you just knew that you needed to stay away from his dangerous heads. You ran two stairs at a time and clung to the wall for support and as you neared the final few steps, you noticed that the roof had been destroyed and the final floor was open to the elements.

Suddenly, you heard Hanzo screech in pain. A horrible shrieking sound echoed around you and you involuntarily clenched your jaw from the horrific noise. You gripped the sword tightly and made your way to the edge of the final floor.

Looking down, you were amazed at the chaos unfolding before you.

Dozens of exorcists were surrounding Hanzo and one had successfully stabbed a K'rik into the hydra's tail. You recalled Mephisto's explanation of a demon's tail, 'If an enemy grabbed onto it, it could be incredibly painful' and grinned, impressed with the exorcist's quick thinking.

Many of the exorcists started attacking the demon in any way that they could, dragoons, knights, and tamers all working together to attack it physically, while arias began chanting their verses. Doctors ready to tend to those that got wounded.

Making a quick decision, you watched Danzo closely and steadied your sword above one of the heads.

"(Y/N)!" Shura called up to you as she arrived on the scene, but she was too late. You jumped off the building and aimed for the head. Landing heavily, you drove your sword in between the eyes of one of the heads. Blood gushed from the wound and Hanzo roared in agony.

The head thrashed around, and you fought to stay on it before it eventually crashed to the ground, no longer alive. A second head swooped down on you and jumped out of the way.

Shura ran up to you and gave your back and encouraging pat, "That was amazing, let's see what else you've got!"

Together you both ran at Hanzo and slashed at the demon, whittling him down bit by bit.

"I just wanted to find my mate!" Hanzo roared, "You could have been so happy, (Y/N)!"

You faltered for a moment and missed an attack, Hanzo took advantage of the mistake and whipped a head towards you. You tried to dodge it but you were too slow, he collided with your legs and you crashed into the ground.

The large eye of the head peered down at you and you quickly looked away, suspecting what he was going to do, "Hanzo, stop this!" You cried out as one of the exorcists was slammed into a wall near you, "You need to surrender!"

"Never!" He hissed as another exorcist was swatted harshly away from the hydra.

In the corner of your eye, you saw Shura slice at the hydra's head in front of you with her own sword, calling out "Snake belly!" Hanzo's head pulled away quickly and struck at Shura. Thankfully she managed to dodge the attack and landed gracefully a few feet away from the head.

You grinned at the fiery exorcist and ran at Hanzo. Holding your sword in front of you like a lance. You forced the blade into Hanzo's chest, and he thrashed out in pain. To your right, another head dropped, the other exorcists had managed to take it out and you looked up, seeing four heads remaining.

You pulled your sword out of Hanzo's flesh and you felt his blood trickle down your back. You ran forward and jumped up onto one of the fallen heads. Running up the neck, you made your way up to Hanzo's back, dodging attacks from the other heads and began slicing at anything that was available to you.

Hanzo bucked violently and you drove your sword into his back, using it as a way to steady yourself.

In the madness, you managed to catch a glimpse of Yukio, Hana, and your friends. Everyone was fighting alongside you and in that moment, and you felt a mixture of happiness and pride.

"Hanzo, you're going to die if you carry on like this!" You called out. You removed your sword from Hanzo's body once again and jumped down from his back, getting the attention of one of the heads, you let your instincts take over, "You wanted to make a pact with me. Let's make it a full blown contract!"

One of Hanzo's heads stopped to look at you.

"Give me your power and you'll never feel loneliness again! We'll fight together, side by side! Join me, Hanzo and we'll be unstoppable!" The words seemed to come from deep within you, manifesting on your lips before you could fully think them through.

Bright white light exploded around you, bombarding your senses and you fell to the ground, temporarily dazed and blinded. Searing hot pain shot through your right arm as your sword began to shake violently. You desperately tried to drop it, but it felt like the metal was driving itself into your veins, combining with your very existence. You screamed out in pain and clung to your right arm with your left.

The pain felt endless and you begged helplessly for it to stop, your body began trembling fiercely and you believed death was on its way to claim you.

Shura ran over to you and pulled you into a tight embrace, whispering calming words softly into your ear. You felt tears streaming down your cheeks as the pain slowly subsided. Your body went numb and you felt your muscles relax into Shura's arms. She stroked your hair and waited for you to return to normal.

A handful of exorcists joined you and Shura, and one helped her lower you to the floor comfortably. Soon after, the doctors began examining your wounds. As your eyes fluttered shut, you could see an unusual glow in the corner of your eye. You fought to stay conscious, but it was no use.