Chapter 31

"Where am I?" You asked in a quiet, raspy voice. Your throat felt dry and your body felt cold and heavy.

"(Y/N), I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from me!" Chuckled a familiar sounding voice.

"Hanzo?" You asked, seeing more of his face come into focus, "What's going on?"

"You don't remember?" He asked softly as he moved away from you slightly, "You came to the temple a short while ago and asked the monk at the door to get me. You said you needed me." He took your hand and helped you sit up. "When I arrived at the entrance, you'd passed out, so I picked you up and brought you back here. I've been keeping an eye on you ever since".

You looked around and saw that you were back in Hanzo's room. You were sitting on his bed on the floor with his blanket wrapped around you. He was sitting next to you and Junichi was nowhere to be seen. You suddenly felt panicked and looked below the blanket. You sighed with relief when you saw that you were wearing all of your clothes still.

"How long have I been here?" You asked, looking at the concerned features of the very handsome man before you.

Hanzo looked up at a clock hanging on the wall and then back to you, "About an hour or so, not very long." He comforted, "How are you feeling?"

"Groggy." You said simply, "And my throat feels very dry." You lightly rubbed at your neck.

Hanzo handed you a bottle of water, and you gratefully took it from him. You eyed it for a moment and saw that the seal hadn't been broken so you felt safe drinking from it. After a few large gulps, you wiped your mouth and continued, "I remember being at my cousin's party, I decided to get some fresh air and then I was suddenly in a large, snowy forest. T-There was a big dog chasing me, its teeth came close to me as it jumped at me... I-I don't remember coming here." You rubbed at your temples, trying to make sense of what you were saying.

Hanzo frowned, "A snowy forest? There's nothing like that round here, and it's summer, you'd find it hard to find snow at this time of year." He crossed his legs and gently rested his arms on his knees, "And I wasn't informed of any dog when you got to the temple. Are you sure you didn't dream that when you passed out?" He asked.

You furrowed your brow in thought, "Maybe. It felt so real, though." Suddenly you gasped and dropped the bottle, spilling water all over the blanket. You jumped up, "Oh no, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to spill water all over your bed!"

"Don't worry about it," Hanzo replied, "What was it you recalled? It looked like something came back to you." He helped you to your feet so that you avoided getting soaked from the water that was making its way through the blanket.

"It was a forest I used to play in as a kid. I think I used to play there a lot in the winter because I liked how the snow was untouched by human feet." You bit your lip as you sat down in a chair, recalling your childhood memories, "There was a beautiful field separating my town from the forest. In the spring, I used to pick wildflowers and make bracelets out of them." You smiled at the memory. "But now I remember a big dog... It attacked me about a week or so before I came to Tokyo to start my training as an exorcist".

"Oh? Can you tell me more about the dog?" Hanzo asked softly.

"I'd quit my job and decided to go for a walk because I needed time to cool down. My former boss had made my life miserable and I hated how he ran the company; he was a bigot and an absolute monster to work for. I'd reached the end of my tether and decided to quit there and then. Anyway, as I walked in the fields, I got closer to the forest, feeling happier with each step. Then suddenly a giant, black dog came running at me. It latched onto my arm and started dragging me towards the trees. I remember it smelled horrible, kinda like sulphur." You shivered as a new memory permeated your mind, you subconsciously stroked the arm that had been bitten, "It had these scary-looking, white eyes. They were weirdly small considering the size of its head. Its jaw was large, with horrible looking teeth sticking out of its jagged gums. I remember it had a long, floppy tongue, as well." Tears began to swim before your eyes.