Chapter 21

You tried the handle and to your surprise, you found the office door unlocked. You cautiously stepped into the room, peeking around to see if anyone else was there. It appeared Mephisto had gone elsewhere.

Closing the door quietly behind you, you walked towards his desk, not really knowing what you were doing. You started by rifling through the pile of papers he'd clearly been working on recently. It all seemed to be boring paperwork regarding the academy's finances.

Next you turned your attention to the drawers, the top drawer was locked, and you debated on breaking into it or not. After a few moments of contemplation, you decided against the idea and searched through the other drawers instead. More boring paperwork, you sighed and folded your arms on the desk, resting your head heavily on top, 'What the fuck am I doing?'

"(Y/N), what are you doing in here?"

You bolted upright in a panic, "Amaimon!" You clasped at your chest, "One day I'm going to have a damn heart attack!"

Amaimon chewed at his thumbnail, "Big brother isn't here, he's away dealing with some business." He jumped into one of the chairs and watched you carefully.

"Do you know what business that is?" You asked, not really expecting much.

"He's told me not to tell anyone about it and I don't feel like being punished again any time soon, the last one really hurt!"

You thought it over for a moment, "What if I give you something you'll really love in exchange for some information?" You offered hopefully.

"What can you offer me?" He replied sceptically, still chewing on his nail.

"Hang on, don't go anywhere!" You said as you ran out of the room. You skidded into the party room and grabbed handfuls of the snacks and a few slices of cake.

"(Y/N)! Where did you go?" Hana asked, eyeing up your haul, "Um, what are you doing?"

"I'll explain later, I'm sorry for running off but I'll be back soon!" You ran back out of the room, much to the surprise of the other students, with your arms full of treats.

You re-entered Mephisto's office and dumped the food on the table in front of Amaimon, "How about all of this?" You held out one of the slices of cake to him.

He looked at the junk food excitedly, his eyes narrowed as he thought it over but he soon grabbed the cake out of your hand and started eating it happily, "Okay," he mumbled through a mouthful of cake, "I'll tell you".

You sat on the chair opposite the green-haired demon and watched him devour the cake.

"Big brother's been keeping half breeds at his mansion." He said calmly, "He's been angry the past few days, so I've been keeping my distance." He shoved a chocolate bar into his mouth.

"Do you know who they are?" You asked, suspecting they were the Nephilim.

"I don't, but I know that one has red hair, and the other has black hair." He threw the empty chocolate wrapper on the table and opened another.

'He does have the Nephilim!' You thought, a mixture of anger and fear overwhelming you. The Nephilim were with Mephisto after all!

"Hey, can you take me to the half breeds?" You asked Amaimon, expecting him to refuse.

"No, big brother would kill me".

You grumbled unhappily.

"But I can take you to his mansion." He offered, looking up at you roguishly.

Your breath caught in your throat, and you spluttered and coughed, "Why would you do that? Wouldn't Mephisto still punish you for that?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Probably, but I'm bored of him ignoring me. He's been spending a lot of time with those two".

Amaimon lifted you onto his back and leapt out of one of the large windows in the office, you clung to him tightly and closed your eyes, terrified of the huge drop below you.

You couldn't help but feel impressed with his speed and precision, his jumps were perfectly timed and executed. Although it wasn't the first time Amaimon had carried you, it was the first time you'd orchestrated it.

Soon he arrived at the mansion and lowered you to the ground, "I don't know what you plan to do, but brother will probably kill you if he doesn't want you getting involved in his affairs. I'm going back to the sweets you gave me." With that, he leapt back up onto a nearby wall and disappeared from sight.

"Bye then." You said quietly.

You approached the mansion and wondered how to get in without being spotted, 'I don't want to be killed, but if he really is willing to kill me, then I guess it's better to find out sooner rather than later'.

You circled round the back, looking for a way in, until you spotted a small, open window. You walked up to it and held your breath, listening closely for any sign of movement. When you finally decided the coast was clear, you climbed in through the window and landed as quietly as you could into a rather beautiful looking kitchen.

"Miss (Y/N), what are you doing?" You turned around rapidly to find Belial standing in the doorway.

You froze in fear, unsure of what to say or do. Quickly thinking through several lies you could have told, you decided to tell the truth, "Oh, erm, hi Belial." You said quietly. You walked cautiously up to him and bit your lip nervously before saying, "I've heard that Sir Pheles has been keeping Nephilim here and I've come to ask him to let them go free".

Belial looked shocked, "I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting that!" He laughed. "Follow me." He walked out of the room and led you down several hallways, "The master has been obsessing over the Nephilim for the past few days and I've been worried about him, he hasn't been eating and he's been neglecting many of his other duties".

He stopped and turned to face you, "I must warn you that you may not like what you see in there." He explained, "Samael is a demon and although I'm aware that you know that, I imagine you've not seen what we're capable of".

Your heart sank, what were you going to see?

Belial finally stopped in front of a large, stone door, "The master has been spending his time in here. He's currently in his bedroom, getting his sleep in. He's not slept for a few days, but I think he finally saw some sense after arriving back from the academy today".

"Belial, aren't you scared of being punished for leading me here?" You asked, worried about the butler's safety.

He shook his head and smiled, "I've been with the master for a very long time, I believe someone will be able to snap him out of this before I'm in any danger." He raised an eyebrow knowingly and left you alone.

You gripped the door handle and inhaled nervously, terrified of what you'd see. Opening the door tentatively, you entered and the sight before you was nothing like you'd expected.