Chapter 11

The next few weeks passed by quickly.

A Friday evening arrived, and Yukio met you outside of the cram school, "I have an important mission to go on tonight, I think your Nāga will come in handy for this one. You ready?"

You nodded your head and grinned, your life had changed drastically but you knew it was for the best. You hadn't seen Mephisto for nearly a week, but you understood that as a high ranked exorcist and principal of the academy, he was very busy. That knowledge didn't change the fact that you missed his touch.

Yukio, you and a third exorcist, Akari, arrived at the location of the mission; several demons had been causing havoc in a forest and the three of you had been called in to see what was agitating them – and were ordered to put a stop to it.

"Reports say that the disturbance is predominantly on the outskirts of the forest, but some unusual activity has been heard in the centre as well," Yukio explained, "(Y/N) and Akari, please use your familiars to scout ahead".

You summoned your Nāga, Ryūnosuke, and asked him to gather information for you, he agreed and slithered off. For a large snake, you were impressed with how stealthy he could be.

Akari summoned a dog-like familiar, Tamotsu, and it went running off in the opposite direction.

You and the other two exorcists walked ahead and easily found signs of damage caused by demons. Following the path of destruction, Ryūnosuke returned to you, "There are numerous Hobgoblins in this forest," he explained, "I managed to slither by unnoticed, but these goblins are looking for trouble".

You thanked Ryūnosuke and he led you towards the Hobgoblins.

Crouching in the shrubs, you, Yukio and Akari formulated a plan. Five Hobgoblins were fighting amongst themselves; they were covered in blood and had recently been feeding on a large deer. You nodded to Ryūnosuke who slithered off around to the opposite side of the goblins, you waited patiently for him to get into position. Minutes later, Akari's familiar reappeared. Akari explained the plan to him.

When Ryūnosuke had reached his position, Akari's dog familiar crept towards the Hobgoblins and lowered its head, raising the fur on the back of its neck. He growled ferociously and the goblins turned their attention to the new target. Stupidly they all charged at the dog and a few bumped into each other.

With their backs turned away from Ryūnosuke's position, he bolted out of the trees and bit a Hobgoblin firmly on the neck. The Hobgoblin instantly froze and fell to the floor, convulsing violently. Ryūnosuke's bite was venomous and highly effective against other demons.

Tamotsu pounced onto a Hobgoblin and began snapping at the creature's throat, it fought back while two more jumped onto Tamotsu's back. One clawed angrily at the dog's back and he howled in pain. The one that was previously in the dog's mouth bit back.

Suddenly, one of the demons fell from Tamotsu's back in a bloody heap. Yukio had shot the demon in the head with amazing accuracy, you looked to him and silently praised his impressive gunmanship.

A Hobgoblin screeched loudly, the remaining goblins looked to it and with amazing speed and synchronicity, they fled towards the trees.

"Quick, we need to catch them!" Yukio yelled as he ran out of the trees. You and Akari followed.

Ryūnosuke and Tamotsu rushed ahead of the slower humans and tracked the Hobgoblins.

You spotted the Hobgoblins off in the distance, they jumped up into a tree and you and your party came to a stop. "How are we going to track them down now?" You asked.