Chapter 2

"Miss?" You heard a man's voice calling out to you and you responded with a grumpy sigh, you didn't want to get up yet. Two firm hands gripped your shoulders and started shaking you, "Miss, please open your eyes!" The man sounded apprehensive.

Opening your eyes, you spotted a young man leaning over you, his teal eyes were kind but clearly showed his concern. He wore a long black coat that was covered in dirt. You blinked your eyes to clear away the haziness and your sense of smell immediately kicked in, it wasn't dirt all over the young man, it was blood. You jolted up and tried to get away from him, but searing hot pain ripped through your skull and you fell limply to the ground again.

"I know you must be confused but I'm here to help." The young man stated matter-of-factly, "Please stay still while a member of my team tends to your wounds". He got up and began speaking rapidly to a young woman who listened to him closely. She nodded and crouched down in front of you.

"Hi, my name is Kazumi and I need to examine your wounds, is that okay with you?" The lady asked. You nodded your consent and she immediately got to work. Opening a medical bag, she took out a large variety of medical equipment. Lifting you up slowly, she asked you to prop your body up against the seats while she cleaned the wound on the back of your head. You winced as she rubbed some ointment onto it. "I'm sorry, I should have warned you that this was going to sting," she apologised sincerely, "I recently joined the order as a medic and I'm still getting used to these things".

Kazumi bandaged the wound and wrapped gauze gently around your forehead to keep everything in place. "Please don't remove the gauze for 24 hours, it will help keep pressure on the injury and the bleeding should stop soon. It isn't too serious though, so you needn't worry, but you should take it easy for the next few days and get plenty of sleep." She reached for your right arm and your body tensed as she unfastened the sling and removed the bandage. "Oh no, how long have you been like this?" She asked, clearly distressed.

You looked down at your arm, "Just a few days I think, I don't remember much about it but it's just a dog bite, I'll be fine," you stated as you shrugged your shoulders, "Ow!" you yelped. Kazumi had started poking around the bite and had touched a particularly sensitive area. The skin around the bite was dark and hot to the touch.

"Yukio," Kazumi called out, "YUKIO!" The young man walked over to you both and crouched down next to Kazumi. "She has an untreated temptaint, what should we do?" Kazumi asked the young man. He looked closely at your arm and immediately started treating the bite.

"What's a temptaint?" You asked dumbly, "I'm not very good with medical terminology".

"It's an injury inflicted by a demon, if left for too long, the area could become necrotic. And depending on the severity of the temptaint, you could die." Yukio explained while quickly working on it. "I'm surprised you're in such good health considering how..."

You cut him off with a laugh, "Wait, is this some sort of joke? A demon, really?" You laughed again and looked from Kazumi's face to Yukio's, neither were laughing with you. You swallowed slowly, "Seriously?"

Yukio nodded, he then proceeded to explain what a temptaint meant and how your life would be very different from then on. "Humans who can see demons have harder lives than those that don't. They will see some horrific things, like that demon that attacked you today. That was a Hobgoblin, a troublemaker that often attacks humans for fun. It is the kin of the King of Earth, Amaimon".

You shook your head in disbelief, it was a lot of information to take in, "Why is this happening to me?" Yukio finished cleaning the temptaint and you shakily got to your feet.

"Without knowing what exactly gave you this temptaint, I can't say for sure. There is no undoing a temptaint, it is something you're going to have to deal with for the rest of your life. Kazumi and I are exorcists and we work to eradicate the demons that cause harm to humans. I'm also a teacher at True Cross Academy".