6. Go With Zander

"You know what?" Mia steps closer to Zander. "No, I think I'd rather go with him."

Night Watch's brows raise. "What?"

Zander looks surprised, too. He didn't actually think that Mia would comply. He looks at Night Watch. The hero shrugs.

Zander clears his throat and looks at Mia. "Okay, um...follow me, then."

He lets go of Mia and allows her to follow him to his car. It's a small truck with green, peeling paint. Mia expected something black and sleek, but the truck is suitable. He opens the passenger seat door for Mia. She slips in. Empty cans of energy drinks litter the bottom of his car. She also sees a couple of packages of opened chips and other snacks. It's messy, but it's not unbearable.

Zander hops into the driver's seat and starts the car. Night Watch is still standing where Mia and Zander had left him. He must still be surprised as to what had happened. Mia is fairly unsure about her choice, too. It's certainly a twist that no one expected.

"So, are you Night Watch's nemesis or something?" Mia asks. With an arched brow, Zander nods. "I thought that was the Malice."

"I am the Malice," he says. "I just don't like wearing my suit in the middle of the day."

Mia's brows raise in surprise. He is the Malice? Zander doesn't seem like someone who would be Night Watch's arch-nemesis. Though he's built fairly well, Mia always envisioned him to be larger and bulkier. Though, now that she has seen Night Watch, she imagined the hero to be stronger, too. They're both just two regular-looking guys.

The car ride is silent. Zander seems to be uncomfortable with Mia there. He didn't think that his plan would work. Now he has to go through with it. This could be a good thing, though...he can get that break he told Mia about.

His "mysterious" lair that everyone has always looked for, the Malice's infamous and secret hideout, is actually just a small house hidden within a crowd of trees. Mia guesses that the only reason no one has assumed this is his lair is because of how incredibly mundane it looks.

Zander helps Mia out of the truck and into the house. Inside, there is a small kitchen to the right and a cozy living room with a TV and a two-person couch straight ahead.

"Have a seat." Zander points to the couch. Mia reluctantly sits. The villain goes to his kitchen and makes two cups of coffee. He hands Mia a mug. "Black. I assume you like it that way."

She gives him a smile as a thanks. She takes a sip of the coffee. Somehow, it tastes better than the one she got from the coffee shop. Zander comes over with his own cup. He sits down on the couch, trying to give Mia enough space. She scoots further towards the arm of the couch.

The awkwardness of the situation settles in. It's like an event where a person no one wanted invited comes, anyway. Mia finishes her entire cup of coffee. Silently, Zander extends his hand to take her empty mug. Mia hands it to him. He heads back into the kitchen and places both empty cups in the sink.

When he comes back, Mia decides that she should probably spark a conversation because he obviously isn't going to. "So..." A great start. "How am I supposed to help you with your 'so-needed break?'"

"Well," Zander looks up at the ceiling as if he'll find the words he's looking for up there, "from the information I got, someone close to Night Watch supposedly goes to Serene Caffeine every day at 6:00 AM and orders a black coffee. So I assumed it was you. But Carson—I mean, Night Watch—seemed to not know you, so I guess I was wrong."

"I mean, a lot of people drink black coffee."

"Yeah, but do you go to a coffee shop just for that? May as well make it at home."