27. Go to John's

Well, I may as well, Mia thinks. She sends Terry a text saying that she's coming. He responds instantly. Great! Do you need me to pick you up?

Mia declines the offer, but he insists, saying that he's nearby anyway. This probably isn't true. Terry doesn't live anywhere near Mia, so him driving near her house is impractical. Mia ignores that and reluctantly accepts. She doesn't know John's address, so it works out.

Mia also makes sure to text Therese, pleading for her to come. After telling Mia about all of the other plans she had for tonight, Therese begrudgingly accepts. Mia feels better knowing that her friend is there. Safer, too. She doesn't want to go to an event where she only knows Terry, for it gives him an excuse to stick around her.

She changes out of pajamas and into something more suitable for going out. She puts on a cute top and light jeans. It's modest and satisfactory.

Mia heats up her cold coffee. Then she downs it quickly. She's going to need the caffeine boost if she's going to last the night around extroverted people.

A horn honks obnoxiously outside. She looks out the window, her cheeks hot at the sight of the white truck. All of her neighbors are trying to sleep. Terry could have easily—and silently—told her by sending her a text.

Afraid of him honking again, Mia grabs her purse and goes outside. She gives Terry a small smile and hops into the passenger seat. She has to move a few empty energy drinks into the back of the car before she can sit down. He presses on the gas before she can close the door, causing her to quickly yank it shut. He hardly notices. Terry whistles an uncoordinated tune. Mia looks out the window. Hopefully, the ride can go by quickly without any conversation.

"I think we're supposed to be watching a horror movie." Terry gives Mia a sideways glance. "Hope you don't get too scared."

Mia shudders. Not because of the movie genre but at the idea of Terry trying to comfort her during it. Mia actually really enjoys horror movies. Though that may be because she only ever watches them with Therese, and she always lightens the mood with witty commentary.

"Who else is going to be there?" Mia needs to make sure that it won't just be him and her, even if it's at someone else's house. That would truly be horrific.

"Quite a few people, actually. There's—of course—John, Rob, Donna, Haley, Rick, and maybe Theo—"

"Therese," Mia quickly interjects. She makes sure that her voice is loud and firm. "Her name is Therese."

"...Right. Her, too."

There it is. Terry can't seem to go one conversation without saying something uncomfortable or inconsiderate. He used the right pronoun, so it's merely an act of carelessness. Mia looks out the window again. She no longer wants to be in the car with him. If he says something rude and thoughtless like that again, then she'll surely pop off on him. It's only a matter of time before she reaches her limit—and she's been really nice.

They finally reach John's house. Mia gets out of the car without saying anything to Terry and goes inside. She hears him mumble something but doesn't bother to listen in. Her goal is to have a fun night with Therese and her other colleagues and to stay as far away from Terry as possible.

Mia knocks on the door. John, a middle-aged man with a kind face, greets her. "Hi, Mia! Didn't know that you were going to be here."

"Really?" That surprises Mia. She expected Terry to tell him that she's coming. "I'm sorry, I should have texted."

"No worries, I'm sorry for not inviting you and Therese to begin with." He smiles. "She got here a little over ten minutes ago. Figured you invited her."