7. Go With Night Watch

Mia pulls her hand out of Zander's grasp. She steps closer towards the hero. Zander doesn't stop her. He watches as she walks away with Night Watch, his fingers slowly curling into fists.

"Fine," Zander says slowly. "We will meet again, though. You can't get out of this that easily." He looks straight at Mia. She looks away, chills running up her arms. He doesn't seem to be joking. This can't be real. She feels the desire to go to work and forget all about this.

It takes a lot for Mia to want to go to work, and this is it.

She starts to head towards her car. Night Watch steps in front of her. "Where are you going?"

"Uh...to my car?" Mia places her hands on her hips. "I really appreciate you helping me out back there, but I'm going to be late for work."

"You can't do that." Mia stares at the hero, surprised. "Zander—the Malice—could easily follow you there. You need to come with me until you're safe."

Mia's heart pounds. The Malice? He's one of the most well-known villains in the state. His name pops up all over the news, usually with the conclusion of Night Watch having defeated him once again. What would a villain want with her? Mia has done nothing that would put her on Malice's bad side.

She doesn't understand. She's confused, afraid, and just wants to forget about all of this. Even so, she reluctantly follows Night Watch to his car. It's a small, white Tesla that shines in the sun. The doors slowly lift open like a pair of wings. Mia stares at the car, not sure if she should be within ten feet of it.

Night Watch motions for her to enter the car. She hesitantly slides into it. Everything in the vehicle is clean and sleek. Mia feels like she's in a dream instead of reality. There's no way I'm sitting in a car like this right now. I've been driving a twenty-year-old Yaris for years.

Night Watch sits in the driver's seat. "What about my car?" Mia asks. She looks in the direction of her vehicle. He follows her gaze. He appears slightly disgruntled by the look of her car but conceals it when Mia looks back at him.

The hero smiles at her. "I'll call someone to pick it up and drive it to your house. Give me your address and put the keys in the sun visor. Don't worry, I know you're scared, but it's going to be okay. I'll keep you safe."

For some reason, Mia believes him. She gives him her address and carefully goes to her car. She slips the key where Night Watch told her to put it and then goes back to the car. Mia looks around the parking lot for the Malice. He doesn't seem to be around. She slides back into the car and lets out a long breath.

Night Watch speeds out of the parking lot. It feels like they're gliding above the ground. Mia leans back in the seat. She watches as cars and houses whip past them. The car is going incredibly fast. "Shouldn't you slow down?"

The hero gives her a side glance and chuckles. "Why? If I get pulled over, they'll see who I am and let me slide. Besides, I'm a safe driver. You have nothing to worry about."

His words don't make Mia feel better. He can do whatever he wants and just pass? Just because he's a hero? That doesn't seem fair.

She decides not to worry about it too much. "Where are we going?"

"To my house. I figure you'll be safe there while I figure out what the Malice wants and how to stop him," he explains. Mia checks her phone. She was supposed to be at work five minutes ago. She needs to call in sick soon or she'll get in trouble.

Or she can ask Night Watch to take her to work. She's been a little late before, so she doesn't think it will be too big of a deal. She probably could get to work now that she's not in her own car, too.

On the other hand, she is curious as to why the Malice wants her. She could help Night Watch figure it out and take the villain down for good. Either way, she doesn't want to just sit in his house and wait for something to happen.

After a moment of consideration, Mia says...

This is an important decision. You must pick the first option to get Mia back into her daily routine. She may remember this, but it'll easily be forgotten. I wish Trevor was here, he would never let this happen...

I want to go back to work ... Chapter 12

I want to help! ... Chapter 13