15. Find the Hide-out

"They're going to expect us to come to the museum tonight," Mia says slowly. "So why not catch them by surprise? We should meet them where their lair is and catch them there."

Agent Santos's brows raise. "How are we going to do that?"

"Well,"—she hasn't thought that far yet—"we can still go to the museum because we know they'll be there for sure. Then we can follow them back. They won't know what's coming."

The agent doesn't seem convinced by the plan. Mia slightly shrivels, disappointed. She doesn't really know what she's doing, but she tried. Agent Santos doesn't appear judgemental, just analytical. She is probably thinking of all the things that could go wrong. If they followed, would the Manger brothers figure it out? If so, they could get into deep trouble.

The agent's watch beeps. She lifts her sleeve and looks at the screen. Her eyes widen.

"What?" Mia asks.

She shows Mia her watch. "I was just notified that a museum is being robbed."

"The same one?"

"No, a smaller one across town. Don't you think it's a coincidence that two museums are being raided in one day?"

It takes Mia a moment to understand. But once she does, she nods. The Manger brothers are trying to rally the agents over there so that they are distracted from their actual heist. Agent Santos quickly stands up. "We need to get over to that museum."

"What?" They know that it's just a diversion, so why should they be baited by the trap?

"Your plan works," she explains. "But instead of catching them after the action, we'll get them before."

An exciting feeling twists in Mia's stomach. This is it. They are going to stop criminals like agents. She's actually doing this.

The excitement changes to fear. She's actually doing this. She has pretended to be a secret agent and will now put her life at risk. How will she survive? She doesn't know how to fight. She will be dead in seconds.

"We don't have much time, so I just grabbed you a few things." Agent Santos shoved a pair of clothing and two weapons into Mia's arms. Her eyes widen when she sees the two handguns. She has never used a gun in her life.

The woman doesn't give Mia time to say anything. The agent leaves to change, nearly running. The giddiness that she illuminates makes Mia nervous. She had fun before she realized what she was doing. Now she is terrified.

Nonetheless, she puts on the black clothing that Agent Santos has given her. The pants are a little big, but she puts on the belt that she was wearing before to fix that. She slips on the vest right when Agent Santos comes back in,

"Are you ready?" Mia nods. She places her shaky hands behind her back. It's fine. Everything will be fine.

Mia notices Agent Santos's guns resting in her belt. Mia can't do the same, so she just awkwardly holds them in her hands. They feel heavy and cold in her palms. If she enters the lair, will she actually have to use them? Mia doesn't want to hurt anyone, whether they are good or bad. Why can't they all just...hug it out?

Agent Santos exits the room. Mia frantically follows. The agent darts down the hallways and outside. Mia has to run in order to catch up with her. Agent Santos doesn't notice her; her eyes are glued to her watch.

The agent gets in the car. She starts it before Mia can even close the door. Mia quickly puts on her seat belt, though it seems silly at that moment. She has two guns on her lap and she's worried about if she's buckled?