36. Text Craig

Mia texts Craig, asking if he's still at John's party. He instantly replies, saying that he's not. Mia is about to explain her new discovery to him, but hesitates. It doesn't seem like something she can say over text. Instead, she asks if she can come to his house to talk about "something really, really important."

He agrees and gives her his address. It takes her little time to get in the car and over to his house. He happens to only live a few blocks away. Craig lives in a modest house with a well-kept lawn. She parks next to his car, which is a white Jeep. Mia gets out of the car and nearly runs to his door. She knocks twice and restrains herself from doing so repeatedly.

Craig takes a minute before opening the door. "Hey Mi—"

Mia walks past Craig and into his living room. She doesn't mean to be rude. She's just so freaked out that she can't think clearly. She stands in the center of his living room, eyes wide.

"Hey there." Craig approaches her. "What happened? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Do you remember what you told me at John's? About the hospital?" Mia asks, her voice shaking.

"Yes, but—"

"Look." Mia cups Craig's face and pulls him close to her. Craig looks at Mia, confused. He examines her face for awhile, taking a moment before locking his eyes with hers. He squints. Then, his eyes widen. He takes a step back.

"It can't be..."

Mia nods. "I think it is."

Craig is silent for a moment. He paces back and forth, muttering something under his breath. He slides his hand over his hair. Mia watches him, scared and confused. She doesn't want to believe that it's true, for her eyes are pretty little evidence. It's a crazy coincidence, though. Especially if Craig can see the blue light, too.

Craig finally stands still. He rubs the bridge of his nose and sighs. When he sees how scared Mia is, he relaxes and gives her a small smile. "Would you like to sit down? How about a cup of coffee?"

Mia nods and sits on the couch. Craig leaves to his kitchen. He comes back after a moment with two steaming mugs. He hands one to Mia, which she gladly takes. He sits on the couch next to her. Mia downs the coffee quickly. When she sets down her empty cup, she sees that Craig hasn't raised the cup to his lips once. He's gripping it tightly.

Mia's stare seems to snap Craig out of his trance. He sets his mug on a coffee table in front of him. "Mia, I'm going to ask you a few questions, and I want you to answer them truthfully, okay?"

She nods. Craig thinks for another moment. "Okay...what is the first choice you usually make in the morning, and how many options are there?"

Mia thinks for a moment. "Well, two. I decide every morning whether to go straight to work or stop at the Serene Caffeine first."

Craig nods. "After work, what do you decide to do?"

This one's easy. "I choose between staying at work or going home."

"So two options?"

"Yes."

Mia doesn't understand what he's getting at. Craig seems satisfied with her answers so far, but she doesn't know why. "How many colleges did you decide between?"

Mia has to think a little bit for this one. "Two."

"How many careers were you deciding between?"

Mia's voice grows quiet. "Two."

"When you go to a coffee shop, how many drinks do you decide between?"

She smiles. "Three."

Craig asks Mia more questions about decisions she has made in the past. Mia answers "two" every time. The more she says the number, the more it seems less like a real word. Like there's no possible way that it can actually exist, and that Mia can actually have only decided between two options her entire life.