40. End

DISCLAIMER: I highly recommend that you do NOT read this chapter until you have finished all of the endings. There are spoilers for multiple branches within this chapter. Enjoy!

Mia wakes up in the morning to her phone exploding with messages. The first one she notices is from a person who she doesn't know yet his name is entered into her phone—a guy named Craig. I still can't believe what we accomplished yesterday! Hands down the most interesting date I've ever been on.

Date? Accomplished? Mia doesn't recall accomplishing anything too exciting yesterday, especially not with someone named Craig. All she remembers is another boring day at work.

Then she looks at a text message from Therese. Man, you're a hero, Mia! Way to save us from work, too!

What? Mia replies. What happened?

Don't act humble, Therese instantly responds. It's all over the news. Turn the TV on!

Mia walks over to the TV. During the walk over she contemplates whether she wants to see what Therese is talking about or not. As she goes to grab the remote, a realization dawns on her: she can't decide. Mia can't choose whether she does or not. She begins to panic. Why is this such a hard choice? It's either she clicks the button or puts the remote down, yet she can't seem to do either.

Instead, she walks away from the TV, not wanting to face the choice any longer. Her phone buzzes again. She scrambles to find her phone, which she left on the bed. It's a message from Terry. What a great date, baby! Can't wait for our next one...

Mia's mood changes from confused to angry. Date? With Terry? Never has Mia heard something so ridiculous. She immediately calls him. Terry picks up after two rings.

"Mia! What's up—"

"Is this one of your tricks to get me to date you?" Mia demands. "'Cause last time I checked, you skipped the first date."

"Excuse me? We went to dinner two nights ago..."

"Please," she scoffs. "I'll see you at work, Terry. Please don't text me again."

"But—"

Mia ends the call. She sighs and slips her phone in her pocket. She slides her hands over her face. What is going on today? She has never been so confused. Why are so many people claiming that she's done things that she hasn't these past two days?

She goes into the bathroom to take a shower. This is odd for her, for it's completely off schedule. In fact, she has never found showering in the morning to be an option until today. Something about it seems enticing, though.

The shower helps her to forget about all of the messages. She hops out after a couple of minutes feeling very refreshed. She should take morning showers more often.

She dries herself off, puts on her pajamas, and wraps the towel on top of her head. When she looks up at the mirror, she screams and stumbles backward. Her back hits the wall. She grabs a bottle of shampoo and looks around, breathing heavily.

Mia doesn't know how it got there. In cursive letters, written in the steam on the mirror, is the message "I told you we'd see each other again. ;)"

She carefully examines every square inch of her house. No one seems to be anywhere in sight. When Mia is convinced that no one is inside with her, she finally calms down. She goes back into the mirror where the message is. It has disappeared.

"I need to get ready for work," she mumbles. Mia regains her composure. Benjamin runs around her legs excitedly. Mia laughs softly. At least her dog is acting normally.