8. Tell the Truth

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Mia says. "My name's Mia Summers and I work in an office. I'm not whatever agent you're looking for."

The woman raises her brows, surprised. "But the drink you ordered...it's our meet-up signal. Why did you order it?"

"Uh...because I like it?"

"Well, this is awkward." She slips a gun out of her pocket. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

Mia's eyes widen. She slowly backs away, raising her hands in the air. She looks around to see if there are any witnesses. Conveniently, even with the multitude of cars parked in the parking lot, there's barely anyone outside. They're all either in their cars, in the coffee shop, or not paying attention.

"If you shoot, everyone will hear," Mia says, trembling. So much for telling the truth. Whoever said to never lie must not have had a gun pointed at them.

"This won't hurt," the woman says calmly. "You'll just forget everything that you've seen here."

Before Mia can protest, a dart silently slips out of the gun, hitting her shoulder. She stumbles backward but doesn't fall. The agent takes the dart out of Mia's skin and walks away.

It only takes a few seconds for Mia to regain her senses. She looks around, confused. The last thing she remembers is petting Benjamin in her bed. Now she's outside, but it doesn't look like she's in her front yard.

Where am I? Mia thinks. She looks at the drink in her hand. Serene Caffeine. She must have stopped by before work. Funny, she doesn't recall leaving.

It takes some time to find her car. Once she does, she slides the latte in the cupholder, starts the car, and heads to work.

***

"That was a close one," Grace says. "Fortunately, she is now on her way to work and will continue to have a normal day."

You cross your arms. "That's so unfair! She was just about to become a secret agent! How cool would that have been?"

"Not at all. That's not the objective that you're going for."

"Whatever." You stand up and start heading for the door. "This game's boring, I'm going back to the tour. At least the obligation of that is to be interesting."

"You are not to leave this room unattended," the A.I. warns. You don't listen. You leave the room and ignore Grace's warnings.

Congratulations! You just got the AN...ALMOST NORMAL DAY ending! Go back to "1. Morning" if you'd like to try again!

Ending: 14/19