17. "I'm Andrea"

Mia swallows down the lump in her throat. Follow the plan. Follow the plan. "Yes, I'm Andrea."

The Malice smiles triumphantly. "I hope you know that this isn't personal. I just need to get back at your boyfriend."

"My boyfriend?" Mia remembers what Night Watch said about Andrea not knowing about him being a superhero. "What...why is he involved in this?"

The villain laughs. It rumbles in the back of his throat, though it doesn't sound scary. It sounds like he's laughing at a joke.  "What, Carson hasn't told you yet? Well, I won't be the one to. I'll leave that to him."

Mia tries to look confused while holding back her snicker. He isn't suspicious of her whatsoever. He clearly believes that his plan is unfolding to his benefit. Mia knows that's not the case. She instinctively feels for the little gadget that she placed under her chair. It's stuck tight.

They reach an old-looking building. It looks either like a run-down convenience store or a shack. It doesn't really scream dark and scary lair, but it works.

The Malice gets out of his truck. Mia stays in the car. What is he planning to do? There isn't another building within a five-mile radius of this place. If she needs help and Night Watch isn't able to make it fast enough, what will she do?

The villain opens her door. She doesn't get out. "What...what are you going to do?" Mia has been proud of her acting skills up to that point. The one improv class she took in seventh grade had really shined during the car ride. Now, though, she is genuinely afraid. Please get here quickly, Night Watch, she silently pleads. Please.

The man tugs on Mia's hand but doesn't force her out of the car. Instead, Mia reluctantly allows him to lead her into the building. He keeps his hand on the square of her back to make sure that she doesn't run away. Not that Mia has anywhere to run to.

They enter the house. Mia nearly trips as a floorboard teeters under her weight, but the Malice catches her. She tears her arm out of his grip. He pushes her ahead, staying behind her.

He stops them in a vacant room. There are only a chair and a dim light. It looks like a ransom movie scene. Mia raises a brow at the villain.

"Sit," he instructs. Mia slowly does as she's told. The chair wobbles under her weight. Mia waits for the villain to do something—anything—but he just stands in front of her with his arms crossed. He's not even looking at her. Just standing, deep in thought.

"Why are you doing this?" It's the best time to find some answers while they wait for Night Watch to arrive. "Why am I involved?"

The Malice's eyes fixate on Mia. He stares at her for a second, a grin stretching on his face. She tries to maintain eye contact, but the villain's gleeful smile makes her nervous. She looks down at her feet.

"Revenge, sweetheart."

"On who?" She figures that the best way to get him to talk is by playing dumb.

"You haven't figured it out yet?" He laughs. He walks a little closer to her, placing his hand on her chair. "I'm finally getting back at Night Watch. Why would I want you if—"

There's a knock on the front door. The Malice turns his head. When he looks back, Mia has to hide her smile. He seems shocked. He didn't expect Night Watch to be here so soon.

The villain stands in front of Mia. They wait as Night Watch takes a few attempts to swing the door open. Once he does, he dashes from room to room, loudly opening doors and throwing objects on the floor. Finally, he makes it to the room where the Malice and Mia are.