Chapter 33

Noah and I sat on the couches waiting for everyone to get back home. It's been a full day since we had to evacuate the mansion. Which wasn't easy to begin with. "It's not your fault," I say. Noah glances at up at me and looks away. I knew what was running through his mind. He needed some space though to process.

"I should have done more background search on him. I could have had his DNA tested for results. I'm so stupid. I never let things like that slip!" he bursts out. I lean forward feeling the urge to comfort him.

"No one is perfect Noah. Victor played us both. That's why he eventually told me his name. He knew he wouldn't be returning to the shed," I say.

"What did he tell you? Anything else?" Noah asks desperately.

"He said something about Ashtons death not being all of it. There's more reasons why he's after us. Your mother was supposed to send me documents. I haven't checked my email yet since my phone is destroyed," I mention. He sighs pinching his nose.

"Our new phones should be here tomorrow at the latest," he comments.

"Am I interrupting something?" Nat asks walking into the room with her arms crossed. Noah stands up quickly to greet her. She holds up her hand to stop him, shaking her head.

"Nat, I'm sorry," Noah apologizes. Garret walks into the room with Faye running in front of him. Noah takes Faye into a tight hug.

"How could this have happened Noah? I understand that this is tough. But I cannot tolerate this. I need to keep Faye safe," Nat says. Noah releases Faye standing back up. A look of seriousness on his face.

"The whole building has been cleared," he states confidently.

"What if they missed something? Noah, that man had a camera in my child's room. Who's to say he wasn't in our rooms at some point," Nat's voice cracks. Garret walks forward pulling her into a hug. She buries her head into his chest.

"I'm so sorry Nat. I-I don't know what else I can do," Noah says.

"I am moving out and taking Faye with me. You can either stay here or come with us," Nat says glancing up at Garret. A conflicting look crosses his face.

"Natalia please," Noah begs.

She turns to face him, "I'm sorry Noah. I cant see myself feeling safe in this house. You know why," Nat apologizes. Noah and I share a look of concern.

"I'm going with her," Garret announces, "I'm not leaving Faye wondering why we aren't in the same house."

"But you just fully moved back in a few months ago," Noah argues.

"I-I know man. But I want to be where my family is," Garret replies apologetically.

            "Listen, we'll spend a few days at Garret's parents. We'll be back later on the week to move our stuff," Nat says before exiting the room. Garret walks forward pulling Noah into a hug.

           "It'll get better soon I promise. Let me know if you find anything," Garret says walking towards the door. As soon as he exits I stand up taking Noah's hand.

        "Let's not worry about them. We can go into your office and work this out," I suggest. Noah doesn't speak letting me lead him out of the living room. We walked quietly down the hallway towards his office.

         I struggle to find the words to comfort him. You'd think I would be good at it since I worked at a daycare. Every time a child would cry I'd wrap my arms around them. Providing a mothering touch as I hover around them checking for injuries. But Noah wasn't the type to be comforted.