Chapter 39

"I won't lie my client is my daughter. I am the best person to represent her because I know her!" Robert preaches. He walks around the side of the table. Mark backs up letting him take the floor. I was currently in the hot seat. Mark was just questioning me. Everything was lining up to Noah's testimony.

     Robert walks up closer to me turning his gaze to mine. I glance over to see Noah's eyes focused on Robert. His knee bouncing slightly as he sat on the bench. "Miss Reyna, has Celeste tried to physically harm you before that night?" he asks.

     "No, just verbally," I answer timidly.

     "Therefore isn't it strange how suddenly she tries to harm you? I can't say she didn't attempt to hurt you. The video itself is proof! But don't you think this was too sudden?" Robert asks.

      "I-I don't know. There always motive," I reply. Robert smiles at me tapping the table I sat at. His wedding ring hitting against the table.

     "How bad were your injuries again? You lost the baby right?" Robert asks. He leans forward waiting for my answer. The blood boiling inside my veins. I don't answer him straight away. I look over to my side of the court room. Noah was now standing next to Mark. Both of them waiting for me to confess.

    "It killed one of my children. The other one is alive, but barely," I say. A small amount of gasps fill the court room.

     "Interesting would you say it was your f-," Robert gets cut off.

     "Objection, your honor!" Mark calls out. The judge glances at Mark then to Robert. He looked bored to be honest.

      "Sustained. Stay on topic," the judge warns. Robert winces trying time keep the smile on his face.

       "I apologize your honor. As I was saying although there is a pattern. There has never been a pattern of physical abuse, or violence. Suddenly Celeste tries to harm her? My daughter suffers from many disorders. Currently she's being treated for depression, bipolar-etc," Robert says.

        I finally gain the courage to look up. There sat Celeste staring at me with emotionless eyes. She didn't look mad or happy. She just looked content in a way. It scared me to the core. "This is clearly a mental illness. She had a life crisis and was driven to harm another. The child she carries is Celeste's! Why would she purposely try to harm her?! Clearly she needs to brought into a mental hospital of some sort, not jail! I rest my case." Robert declares

     "Lets have an adjournment. We'll have a verdict after lunch," the judge says standing up. Robert quickly ushers Celeste to the side of the room. Mark walks over to me.

       "Let's go talk?" he suggests. I struggle turning the wheel chair around to wheel myself out. Noah rushes up around the desk and grabs the handles. As we wheel out Celeste stands there staring at us. A smile small gracing her lips.

         "I don't like this," Nat says. We reached the end of the hallway by the stairs. Mark adjusts his tie turning around to face us.

          "Robert is playing it smart. He might be able to pull this off," Mark confesses. My stomach drops instantly. I clutch my stomach sitting in the wheel chair.