Chapter 49

In my mid twenties I watched the movie one flew over the cuckoo's nest. At first I thought the movie was ridiculous. I didn't understand the meaning behind it at all. It was a movie about a man who was brought into psychiatric hospital. A mental asylum. A mental facility. A psychiatric hospital. Call it what you want. They all had the same job. Keep the crazies in and keep the sane out.

I sat next to Jackson observing the nurses. Jackson pointing out the flaws in their work. A man who's been in here his own life. "Why didn't you try to escape before?" I ask curiously. Jackson peers down at me.

"Why should I? There's nothing out there for me. I discovered it the first time I escaped. The only use for me was with the mafia," he confesses.

"But you escaped recently and came home. Why?"

He chuckles, "because I knew there was something going on. My brother never visited me as often until now. I knew his subconscious must have brought him to me. I knew he was in danger."

"You were concerned for him?" I question. Jackson scoffs looking away.

"People like me don't feel concern," he replies softly. I held myself back from comforting him. There was too many people watching us.

"I think deep down everyone can feel emotion. Sometimes it just takes some time to identify it," I confess. I glance over to see Jackson looking back at me. He cleared his throat and stood from the bench.

           "Since we're getting you out there's a chance I won't be here again. I'm going to say my goodbyes to friends," he announces.

           "I'm sure once they get out they'll be able to contact you," I reply. Jackson gives me a look of pity.

           "No one really ever gets out. I'm sure once Noah discovers that I've escaped he will put me in a new place. Perhaps far away like my parents did."

           I stood up, "you think I'd let him put you back into a place like this? It's time you are free to live your own life. Whether you're messed up or not."

             "Try to convince my brother that," he scoffs. I watch silently as he stalks off. I could feel eyes on me, but didn't react. I didn't care if anyone saw us interact. We were going to get out of here tonight.

             "You should stay away from him," a womanly voice says behind me. I glance over my shoulder to see the eyepatch girl. Her hair braided down into long French braids which reached her waist.

               "You're Celeste's friend," I comment. The girl smiles walking over to take a spot next to me.

                "I wouldn't call us friends," she replies. She leans back casually on the sofa. Her eyes surveying the room.

                "That night when she visited me, you two seemed kinda close," I say.

                 "I'm the girl everyone goes to when they want something," she confesses.

                 "Why are you here?" I ask wearily. She crosses her arms and turns to face me.

                 "Like I said before, you need to stay away from him," she says.

                 "Why?"

                She looks away, "it's hard to find someone in a place like this. Trust me, I've been in this place since I was six."

                 "Why don't you just escape? People have done it in the past. Or just leave, you are an adult they can't force you to stay," I point out. Except for Jackson, he was a different case.