PART 18 | tough gal

Caiden's P

Caiden's P.O.V

WE GET INTO my car and I turn on the heater.

"Wanna play 20 questions?" I ask her, my eyes glued on the road in front of me as I pull out of the stadium.

It's a bit further from here to Food Garage, so we might as well get something out of it.

She folds her legs up on seat, the way we used to when were we little. Don't know how she can do that.

"Sure. You first."

"Favourite colour?"

She laughs, "Out of all the questions in the world. You ask me my favourite colour."

I smile. "Why not?"

Kennedy smiles back. "Orange."

I furrow my brows together. "That's a really odd colour to have as your favourite."

She rolls her eyes. "It reminds me of home."

I don't question it. "What's your  favourite colour?"

I straighten out in my seat. "Green."

She nods. "Why?"

I glance across at her, "We're not very good at the one question at a time are we?"

She grins and shakes her head.

I inhale slowly and look at her quickly before turning back to the road. "I like green because your eyes are green."

She's quiet for a minute. "Thank you."

The silence grows and I lick my dry lips. "What do you miss about Australia?"

Kennedy twiddles with her thumbs and averts her gaze to the scenery outside the window. "I miss the waves. I guess that's kind of stupid though because there are waves here in America... but we lived right on the beach and the waves were just so... familiar."

I keep my mouth sealed. It feels as if she's about to tell me a big part of herself, and I should definitely shut up.

"Every night I would fall asleep, the pattern of the waves, memorized in my brain. But here," she gestures to the road. "Here the sound and pattern of the waves seem so foreign."

Kennedy smiles suddenly, and a sparkle glints her beautiful eyes. I can't look away, she's so stunning. She really must love surfing.

"But when I'm on my board, the ocean surrounding me. I feel like I'm home again."

Taking my eyes back off the road I look at the girl beside me. She's different when she talks about the ocean. I'm beginning to love that.

"What? Is there something on my face?" She asks when she notices me looking at her for too long.