PART 45 | I'll be here

Caiden's P

Caiden's P.O.V

I WOKE UP Sunday morning feeling like an absolute piece of crap.

Sighing, I roll over from my stomach and run a hand through my untamed curls.

Last night after Kennedy left, I went home too. We'd barely experienced prom night, but I didn't feel like staying anymore, not after what happened.

My phone pings with incoming messages, it had done that all night. Quickly, I peek at the lock screen, none are from Kennedy. Ignoring the rest I get up and head to the shower.

The hot water gushes out of the shower head and trickles over my body. I close my eyes as I allow it to wash over my face.

Maybe I can drown in something other than my regrets.

But why is it, that thoughts flood through best while in the shower? All I see is her tormented face in my mind and her retreating body in the rain.

She cried and the clouds cried with her.

Those bright emerald eyes I love so much, once filled with such light have now dimmed, dull and grey.

I stripped that from her.

"Fuck." I bang my fist against the shower wall. "I shouldn't have done it," I whisper harshly, angry at myself. "I shouldn't have done it."

Getting out of the shower I throw on some random sweatpants and a hoodie. They probably don't even match.

My phone rings.

I hurry over to it, hoping it's Kennedy.

It is.

As soon as I click accept and hold it up to my ear, the caller speaks and it's not the voice I thought it would be.

"Caiden? This is Kennedy's mum, speaking."

My brows furrow, why does she have Kennedy's phone? "Uh, hi Mrs D, what can I do for you?"

There's muffled speaking on the other end before she answers. "Kennedy's had an accident."

I straighten up, my heart dropping. "Is she okay?" I ask, worry laced in my tone.

"We're at the hospital. She was admitted in last night. I-I thought to call you, I think she'd want you here, for when she wakes up," her words are rushed and jumbled together.

Wakes up? What happened? I jog down the stairs and out the door as quickly as I can. "I'll be there in 5."

Realising something, my eyes widen in fear while I get into my car. Please tell me this was all an accident and she didn't do anything horrible because of me.