PART 35 | princess

Kennedy's P

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Kennedy's P.O.V

THE WAVES CRASHED over each other in a sound soothing to my ears.
After school Sage and I went straight home for our boards.

Mum had taken dad to another one of his appointments so the house was empty, except for Roscoe so we took him with us.
Obviously couldn't keep leaving him home alone. Plus he loves the water, so perfect chance for him.

"Yes Sage! Judges will love that," I compliment his surf, high fiving him as he jogs toward me.

"What score do you give?" He runs a hand through his untamed hair.

"Seven. You were a bit wobbly on that last one."

Sage nods. "Yeah felt it."

We stand there for a bit staring out at the beach.

"You'll do good," He murmured. "For Sam."

I nod and start toward the water, my board comfortably settled under my arm. "Score me!" I yelled over my shoulder as I dived in.

I execute a couple of bottom turns, tall slides, 360's and roundhouse cutbacks, among other things, and make sure each one is as perfect as I can get it.

Riding the surf in I squint at a figure, struggling upon the path toward the top of the dunes -near the road-.

Once I reach the wet sand I begin walking to Sage.
"Damn, Kenji-"

I cut him off. "Who's that man? He's been watching us for a couple minutes."

Sage turns around. "Who?"

Then I recognise the face, the shirt, the... legs?

"Ohmygod! Dad?!!" I drop my board and run up the path with Sage hot on my tail.

It can't be dad. He has legs? How?

Sage and I get closer, I gasp and stop abruptly. That's when I notice the prosthetics and crutches helping him stand with them on.

He takes a step forward, though it's a slow and wobbly one. "That was some quality surf Kenji."

Tears begin to form in my eyes and lump forms in my throat. "You- your walking."

Dad grins. "I guess you could call it that."

Beside me Sage is speechless for once. Both our eyes welled with a happiness that neither of us could process.

When we don't say anything, so dad adds, "Got them early for the meet tomorrow."

"Your coming?" I question out of shock.

"I can't keep hiding from the surf, it's a part of me," he grins. "Who do you think you got your talent from."

"So you'll come and watch us?" Said Sage.