PART 42 | she's magic

Caiden's P

Caiden's P.O.V

SATURDAY NIGHT CAME fast.
For the past week I hadn't seen much of Kennedy after school as she had been helping set up the gymnasium for prom, curtesy of her mum she consistently complained.

Unfortunately, there had been a need for me to hire a black tux, I wasn't going to borrow one of my fathers, no way in hell was that going to happen.

15 minutes before I needed to be at Kennedy's house, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror to see how I looked.

I am not a tux wearing kind of man. But... I must admit, if my mum was here she'd be fussing over how handsome I looked, which I have to partly agree on.

Rubbing a hand over my jaw, I make sure I had gotten all the rough edges with my shaver. Thankfully, I did.

Downstairs my father was watching a soccer match. From up here I could hear the cheers of the crowd, and yelling of the referee. His drunk ears obviously thought the surround sound wasn't loud enough.

I grab the corsages from beside the shower bench and head downstairs.

"Pass to the left!" My father shouts at the flat screen TV, the player does the opposite.

"No you bloody idiot! To the fucking left I said! The fucking left!" His speech is slurred and indistinct. He takes another swig of the beer in his right hand.

He's already wasted and it's not even 7 O'clock. I walk past him, shaking my head as I leave through the front door.

The rain hasn't died down to a spit, instead, over the week it's turned into a full on storm. The wind is harsh against my cheeks, my hair about to turn floppy at the weight of the water it's taken.

I have to run to my car, I've been doing that a lot lately. Guess it's a good thing at times, keeping my fitness up.

I drive to Kennedy's house, parking as close as I can, then I once again get out and run. Inhaling deeply, I raise a hand and knock on the door.

"Caiden!" Mrs D exclaims. "Come in, quickly now. We can't have you getting a cold."

I'm rushed inside. The house is far warmer than outside. I run a hand through my wet curls, taming them best I can. "Thanks Mrs D."

"Son!" Kennedy's father comes wobbling in from the kitchen on his prosthetics. "How are you?"

"Great thanks. I see your up and at it with the prosthetics again."

He winks. "Makes me feel like I'm flying."

Mrs D purses her lips at her husband. "Well he certainly is when he trips over the carpet and everything else."

I chuckle.

Sage comes sliding down the bannister with Roscoe wagging his tail as he trots down the stairs beside him. "She's coming," he says.