Chapter Twelve: A shock for Miss Athalie

"Hello Bridget, you're just in time!" Laura exclaimed as she saw her best friend dance studio.

"Just in time for what?"

"The girls are planning to play a prank on our dance teacher, Miss Athalie," Laura explained. "Just play along. And by the way, are you feeling any better?"

Yes I do, thank you," Bridget said with a smile. " Please tell me more about this prank."

Laura was about to say something when Beth came over with the rest of the class.

Beth was tugging her sleeve down as if to hide something on her arm.

She winked at Laura.

Laura winked back.

Beth winked at Bridget.

Bridget said, " huh?"

"You'll see why soon, Bridget." Laura assured her.

The door opened, the dancing mistress entered the room.

Today, she was wearing a beautiful floral skirt, that swished her ankles as she walked.

Miss Athalie was obviously in a good mood today. She hummed a cheerful song to herself while waltzing in the dance studio.

"Good morning class," Miss Athalie greeted her class cheerfully."

"Good morning, Miss Athalie," replied the students, excited about the trick they were going to play on Miss Athalie.

Why, what a shock Miss Athalie was going to have.

Beth still looked as if she was trying to cover something on her arm and looked very suspicious indeed.

"Beth, why are you pulling your sleeve down?" asked the mistress, who was getting a bit suspicious.

"Well," said Beth, pausing to think. "I have an awful big mosquito bite on my arm. It is very red and itchy. If I were to see it I would feel like itching it again. That's why I'm pulling my sleeve down, Miss." said Beth smiling cheekily.

"All right then, let's start our class. Today, we will learn how to leap."

The girls started doing the movements that Miss Athalie indicated, when..

"Ouch!"

The cry came from Beth.

"Oh, my dear, are you okay?" Said a very worried Miss Athalie.

Beth finally rolled up her sleeve to reveal....

"Blood!" screamed the mistress. "Gracious me! You must get to the sickbay immediately!" The mistress was horribly afraid of blood.

"There's no blood," said Emily innocently.

"Yes, you must have forgotten your glasses, Miss," said another girl.

"Ah!" Miss Athalie wailed. "My poor soul! I have never seen a wound so horrible!"

Of course it was a trick. Beth got the 'wound' painted on her arm before the class started by talented painter, Lucy Whitthington. And the class would pretend not to see it.

But the wound did look very real indeed.

"Ow! My arm! How it hurts!" wailed Beth.

"Don't worry my dear," Miss Athalie said, looking very frantic indeed. "We'll send you to the sickbay."

The students laughed at Miss Athalie's frantic face.

"Why, how dare you! Don't laugh at your friend! She's in pain!"

The class burst into laughter again. Miss Athalie actually fell for their trick!

Beth winked at her fellow students before putting on a sour face again.

This made her classmates laugh even more.

Miss Athalie began to piece the pieces together.

Beth, with a terrible wound, that didn't wet her sleeve, the class laughing at Beth... or could it be....her.

Miss Athalie then came to a sudden realization.

A trick.

Those naughty girls!

She thought of giving them a good scolding, when she had an idea.

"Come, Beth, we shall get Nurse Alice to give you some painkillers."

Beth thought about the medicine. Yuck! Nurse Alice's painkillers were always the yuckiest.

"Fine, fine," she admitted. "I'm not in pain."

She pouted. Her trick had gone all wrong!

Miss Athalie smiled, a smug one.

"Ha!" She exclaimed, "caught in the act!"

"For your punishments, you all will come to my dance studio for extra lessons on Saturdays and Sundays!"

"No!!"

"Miss Athalie!"

"Ha!" cried Miss Athalie. "Just kidding!"