Chapter 9: Vampire on the Res

I woke up to a knock on my door and Katie rushing into my room, "Cammy? Cammy, are you awake?" 

       I blinked a couple times trying to wake myself up, "Yeah, whats wrong?"

      I could tell that she has been crying, I quickly sat up in my bed with my back against my headboard. "My mom is in the hospital, she fell at like 1 this morning and when my dad found her, she was unconscious. Your dad and I need to go to the hospital, can you watch Jackson? We'll probably be back late."

       I was quick to respond, "Of course go. We'll be okay here. I'll make sure to keep Jackson busy all day. Go see her". I lifted myself out of bed, moving over to Katie so that I could give her a tight hug. We both walked out of my room to meet my dad downstairs. Both of them didn't even change out of their pajamas before leaving the house, making their way to Forks Memorial Hospital. 

      I walked into the kitchen to grab a cup of water, as it filled, I looked outside and noticed that it was pitch black outside still. I look a sip out of my cup, looking over to the clock on the stove to look at the time, it read 4:47. I knew there was no way that I would be able to go back to sleep knowing that I'm the only one home and I need to be there if Jackson wakes up. 

     I decided just to lay on the couch and watch "Letters to Juliet" that was already playing. Before I got comfortable, I went upstairs to get my phone so that I had it if Katie or my dad called. I made my way back downstairs after checking on Jackson to make sure that he was still asleep in his bed. 

      I was about half way through the movie when I heard a noise out back. I tried not to get scared, deciding that it was probably whoever was on patrol right now, wondering why the television was on in my living room. 

      I didn't hear the noise again for a couple minutes but this time it sounded like it was on the roof. I started to worry that the vampire could be around the house. If she knows that I am involved with the wolves, then she could come after me at any time. I knew Jacob and Quil were on the last patrol before sunrise, so I decided to text Paul. Even if he's not awake, if he hears his phone go off it will wake him and he'll text me back. 

Cammy: Hey I don't want to worry you, but it's just Jackson and I home right now and I keep hearing a noise outside. Do you know if a vampire has been spotted tonight? 

Paul: I'm not sure, I'll phase and see what the guys are doing. 

      There were about ten minutes of silence, I knew that Paul wouldn't leave me hanging this long unless something was wrong. He knows how nervous I get sometimes. I heard one last noise before there was a knock on the door. I slowly made my way to the window, peeking out to see Paul anxiously waiting for me to open the door. The sight of him calmed me down enough to open the door and let him in. 

       "What did the guys say?"

        Paul ignored my question, he just walked past me and sat down on the couch. He reached for my hand and pulled me to sit next to him. "They were chasing the vampires scent when I phased. I ran straight here, not taking any chance of her being here, I ran around the house a few times. Her smell is strong but she's not here anymore." 

     I sighed in relief, leaning in to hug Paul. "You didn't have to come over here. I was just nervous because I don't want her hurting Jackson. Katie and my dad had to leave to go to the hospital, her mom fell and was found unconscious."

      Paul looked at me for a second, "Do you want me to stay? I'll just crash on the couch if you want to go back to sleep in your room."

     I gave him a smile, leaning my head on his shoulder, "There's no way I am sleeping if she is around. We can just lay here together. Plus, I want to be here if Jackson wakes up. I probably won't hear him if I go to sleep in my room."