Chapter 21: What?

I woke up from the laughing downstairs, I couldn't really tell who it was but I knew that there was way more than four people in my house right now. I slowly climbed out of bed and made my way down the stairs. 

      I was immediately met with the voices of my childhood best friends. Jake, Quil, and Embry were all in the kitchen with my father and Katie while Jared and Paul were in the living room with Jackson. I rubbed my eyes before talking, "What are you all doing here?" 

      Jared looked up at me, "We're waiting for you Cammy. We're all going to the beach today, all of us and we are bringing little Jackson with us". He pinched my brothers cheek as he was trying to play with his trucks. Paul rose from the ground next to him to give me a hug. 

      He pulled me into his chest, holding me gently "Good morning beautiful". I smiled at him and returned his good morning. I pulled away from him and made my way to the kitchen to see everyone else. I looked at the three boys, taking up residence in the kitchen chairs, "What Sam and Emily are away for a long weekend and you all decided to move into my house?"

      My dad laughed and then continued his conversation with Quil about his grandfather. Katie turned around from the stove, "Hey Cammy. I asked the boys if I should wake you up, but they said that they would hang out until you woke up. How'd you sleep?" 

      I leaned against the counter next to the sink, "Pretty good. I was woken up by some very loud laughing, it sounded like our house was full of hyenas. Did they tell you the plan for today?" 

      She laughed now, "Yes, they asked us first. We think it's a great idea for all of you to go to the beach. You all just need to be careful because of the sudden disappearances and killings going on. I'm afraid it may move here since it is in Seattle." 

      I nodded as she finished cooking the scrambled eggs, everyone in the house made their way to the kitchen as they heard her, "Breakfast is ready". The boys and I ate in the living room with Jackson, while Katie and my dad ate in the kitchen. We all ate quickly with anticipation of the warm day ahead. Katie helped Jackson get ready and as I was heading to my room, my dad's phone rang. His face dropped and he looked completely distraught. I only heard his side of the conversation, "Hello? Yes this is him. Are you sure? Um yes, we will be there as soon as possible."

      I looked at my father, he turned to me with sad eyes, "Cammy, we need to go to Seattle sweetie". I looked at him confused, before he continued, "You should go get dressed, I have to talk to Katie". I nodded in agreement, not arguing because of the serious look on his face, I went upstairs and changed into jean shorts and a tank top, pulling on the first pair of shoes that I found. I quickly finished getting ready and then made my way back downstairs, just in time to overhear Katie talking to the boys, "Can you boys watch Jackson while we are gone. Paul, I think that Cammy will want you to come with us". I looked over all of them, the boys looking just as confused as me. 

      I needed to know what was going on, I stood by the couch right by where Paul was sitting, "What's going on?". My dad and Katie looked at each other, like they were trying to gather the words to say to me. My father's eyes were starting to tear up. 

      He finally pushed the emotions back to answer my question, "Cammy, you're mom was in Seattle. She was coming to visit you, but she got into an accident. She didn't make it sweetie". I looked at him stunned at the words that left his mouth. He continued, "They need you to go to Seattle to verify that it is in fact her". I nodded, feeling a warm hand wrap around my own. I looked down at Paul, tears filling my eyes but not spilling. 

      I turned my line of vision back to my father, "Okay, we should get going then. Paul, will you come with us?". He nodded without thinking, getting up and pulling me into a hug. We stayed like that until my dad said that we should get going. I turned back to the boys before we left the house, "Jake, make today fun for him. Don't let him see how worried you all are, I'll be okay. Have fun with him, he loves you boys". He nodded, pulled me into a hug, he ducked his head down and whispered in my ear, "I'll 100% be here when you get home tonight. Text me if you need anything or with any updates". I nodded at his statement before walking out the door with Paul at my side, we climbed into the back seat together my father turned around and sighed, "You ready?". I nodded and with that we were on our journey to Seattle.