Chapter 24: First Day of School

I woke up this morning a little more excited than I should have been, today is my first day of junior year in a new high school, at least this one has my best friends in it. My alarm went off at 6:30 so that I have enough time to get ready and eat breakfast before I had to be at school for 7:30. 

      I shut my alarm off, leaving my room so that I could shower. I was only in the shower for about 20 minutes, making sure to shave my legs and wash my face. Before I left the bathroom, I tied my hair up in a towel and brushed my teeth. I returned to my room as my father was leaving his bedroom so that he could get ready for work. 

      I did my makeup, making sure to do way more than usual. I even added a light brown eye shadow look, which I pretty much never do. I let my hair down before I swiped my mascara onto my lashes and finished my makeup. 

      I let my hair air dry while I got dressed, I put on a black sweater, a light wash jean skirt, and my black and white Adidas sneakers. Once I was dressed and gathered my book bag, I made my way downstairs where Katie already had coffee and breakfast waiting for me on the table. When she heard me enter the kitchen, "Good morning sleepyhead. Are you excited for school?" 

      "Yeah I am actually. I'm just excited to be going to school with the guys again". She nodded and turned back to the stove as my father joined me at the table. We ate breakfast in silence and as I was putting my dishes in the sink, there was a knock on the door. I made my way to the front door, opening it to reveal Jake. I smiled at his presence and let him in as he said, "I convinced that hot headed boyfriend of yours to let me pick you up for school. I wanted to start this year off like we did when we were young". 

      We made our way to the kitchen and when my father noticed us he said, "Hey young Black, are you driving Cammy to school? I expected to see Lahote this morning". Jacob laughed before responding, "I convinced Paul to let me pick Cammy up for school, because one it is on my way and two, we started all our years together this way. I really wanted to have our tradition." 

      My father nodded and looked at his watch before looking back up at us, "You kids better get going, Cammy is going to need extra time to get her schedule and find her locker. Have a good first day guys". I gave Katie and my father both hugs, before I grabbed my book bag and followed Jacob to his truck. 

      We didn't really talk as we made our way to school, we just listened to the music playing on the radio as I watched the trees and houses go by us. When we reached the school, I noticed how small it truly was compared to my last school. Since it was private to only the kids on the reservation, the class size is half of what mine used to be. Jacob pulled into a spot not far from the building, and it was between Paul and Jared's trucks. I climbed out of the truck and was met by Paul who took me to the office. 

      We walked hand in hand to the office, with the guys falling behind us. We reached the office as soon as we entered the building, Paul opened the door for me and we were immediately greeted by the woman at the desk, "How can I help you two?" 

      I smiled at her, "My name is Cameron Mercia. I am new here and I need to pick up my locker assignment and what not". She nodded her head, looking down and bringing a pack of papers onto the desk in front of me. She slid them towards me and continued, "You have Mr. Williams first period English class", she turned towards Paul, "Will you show her the way?". He nodded his head and grabbed the stack of papers as we exited the office. He looked over the papers, finding a small yellow slip that had my locker information on it. We made our way to my locker which was right near the English class. 

      He held onto the papers, "We have most of our classes together. I'm sure the ones we don't have you will have with one of the guys". I nodded while opening my locker to make sure that it worked and I could get it open. Once I put a couple binders and my lunch in it, we made our way to English together. We entered the room, people sitting in the desks talking until we entered. I got nervous as they started staring at me, I hate being the center of attention. I felt my breathing stop completely, I'm guessing Paul did too because he grabbed my hand and led me over to the teachers desk. I nodded to let him know that he could go sit down while I introduce myself to the teacher.