Chapter 30: Rumors

Jacob has been staying at Emily's with me for the past five days, we just watch tv and eat junk food. He comforts me when I cry and he cracks jokes to make me laugh. Once he falls asleep, I just look through my phone at pictures of Paul and I, seeing how happy we were a week ago. Every time he came over to eat, I keep myself in my room and we haven't spoken a word to each other since the night I moved in.  

      Today is the first day I'm going back to school since I found out. I have a really bad feeling about it, like something bad is going to happen today. Jake went home to change and grab his book bag, I heard a honk out front as I was pulling on my leggings, a white t shirt, a white sweater, and black converse. I grabbed my book bag and then made my way downstairs to be met by Emily putting a muffin onto a napkin, "There is your breakfast and I packed a healthy lunch for you. You're going to need to start eating a little less junk for the baby". I nodded, taking the muffin and the lunch of the counter while giving her a kiss on the cheek. 

      I tossed my book bag into the bed of the truck and climbed in to greet a smiling Jake, "Long time no see. What did Billy say?"

      He laughed, "All he asked was how are you doing. He wants you to come over for dinner soon. He also wanted me to tell you that there is some talk about it". I looked over at him and sighed while taking another couple bites of my muffin. 

      When I finished the muffin, "I knew the news would travel fast, today is going to be long and I won't have Paul's help, so I'll have to just ignore it".

      He turned onto the road that leads to the school, "No way, they say the wrong thing and you know that none of us are letting that slide. Even Paul will kick someone's ass, I'm calling it". 

      "Want to put money where your mouth is? Ten dollars that he doesn't do anything", he shook my hand as we pulled into the parking lot. Everything seemed normal as we walked to class and met up with the rest of the boys in English, Paul watched me as I took my seat. 

      Our teacher took attendance and then gave us an assignment to do for the novel that we have to read. I was answering a question for Quil when we heard the girl in front of us, "I heard she's knocked up. I never would have thought that she was that kind of girl". I tapped on her shoulder, making her turn around. 

      "What kind of girl does this make me, Caroline. Please elaborate", she looked at me confused and then annoyed that I was sticking up for myself. She looked to her friend for help, her eyes moving from me to Quil who seemed proud of me for sticking up for myself. 

      I coughed to get her attention but her friend spoke instead, "We never knew that you were a slut". My mouth dropped open at the word, I never expected someone to call me that, out of everything. I couldn't take it, we only had 10 minutes left in class but I couldn't do it, I grabbed my book bag and ran out of the classroom. I heard the teacher ask what was going on and then silence, I just walked outside and sat on the bench by the parking lot. I leaned over with my elbows on my knees just staring at the ground. I couldn't even make it through one class without walking out, there is no way that I am going to make it through a whole day. 

      I heard footsteps and then felt someone sit next to me, "Are you okay baby?". I looked up, tears filling my eyes, Paul placed his hand on my back and started to rub circles, "It's not fair that you're getting treated like this. It's just as much my fault as it is yours". 

      I sat up and turned to him, "You don't get to call me that right now, you left me alone in this. When you decided to not talk to me and to leave me at Emily's without a word from you all week, you took your self out of the situation. I am not your problem anymore, if you don't want this then I really don't see how you could have wanted me in the first place".