Chapter 17: Forgiveness

Katie and Jackson came home the day after the incident, making it so the first couple days went by fast. Katie immediately noticed the bruise on my elbow and I told her I fell while out hiking with Jake and Quil. She was taking care of me more than was necessary, being extremely careful around me while trying to make sure that Jackson is doing the same. 

      After the bruise started to get a tiny bit lighter, she wasn't smothering me anymore. Although it was all out of care and worry for my health and well-being, so I can't really complain. She hasn't found out about Paul yet, she just assumed that we got into a fight over the weekend and needed some time. Truthfully, I'd rather her believe that than the reality. 

      It's been a week since the dress appointment and since the last time I was at Emily's. When I left the day after the attack, I told her that I needed some time without being at her house, but I honestly believe that being in the house and away from my best friends has been worse for me than any pain I would feel seeing Paul. 

      It was about noon when my phone started going off, it kept chiming and chiming, truthfully it was getting on my nerves so I decided to finally check it. The group chat was blowing up 

Embry: Cammyy

Quil: Cammy, can you come hang out with us

Jacob: We're bored of each other 

Paul: They're tired of my internal pining 

Jared: Paul. 

Paul: What?

Jared: We are trying to get her to come to Emily's, she probably doesn't want to see you and that is why she has been avoiding us

Jacob: Cam, I can pick you up on my way over if you want?

      As I read the last text message from Jacob, a separate message came in from Paul. At first I didn't want to open it but I miss him, so I eventually opened the message. 

Paul: Cammy, the guys really miss you. I miss you, but they're level of mad is nothing compared to how I feel about myself right now. I am so sorry that I hurt you. Come to Emily's, I can pick you up or Jake can. Please, I think we should talk 

Cammy: I think we should too. I miss my best friends. If you're with them all now, tell them I'll be over in 10 minutes. I'm going to walk.

      I got up from my bed, still in an insane amount of pain with my back. It has spread all over now, the scabs from where the tree cut me aching when I move, and the bruises getting an even deeper purple. I made my way to my dresser, grabbing a white tank top and tan shorts, wearing looser tops help keep the fabric from irritating my back. I slid them on, not bothering to do my makeup and only brushing my hair before grabbing my purse and heading down stairs. Katie and Jackson went down to the beach because of how much sun we are getting today. I pulled out my phone and shot her a quick text and she responded quicker than I expected. 

Cammy: I'm going to head to Emily's, I don't know how long I will be.

Katie: Good, you've been spending too much time at home

      I laughed at her remark, already knowing that she felt this way because she tried to get me to go out to Emily's all week. I locked the front door and then started the short walk down to Emily's. I walked along the edge of the road that was closest to the tree line, hearing loud footsteps and leaves crumpling right inside the woods. I tried to ignore it at first, but when I heard the breathing get closer I tried to focus my vision and see what it was.