14 | Hello Haiku

A haiku (俳句 high-koo) is a short three-line poem that uses sensory language to capture a feeling or image. Haiku poetry was originally developed by Japanese poets. They are often inspired by nature, a moment of beauty, or a poignant experience. To write a haiku, start by brainstorming ideas for the poem. Then, write the poem with strong details and detailed imagery. Make sure you polish the haiku and listen to how it sounds out loud so it is at its best.

A proper haiku has three lines, broken by syllables. The first line of a haiku has five syllables, the second has seven, and the third has five as well. These three lines, if written properly, create a proper haiku. A fun fact about haikus is that they do not have to rhyme.

Here is an example of a haiku:

Haiku, a poem
Five beats, then seven, then five
Ends as it began

Notice the syllables and beats with each line and you'll recognize that it's 5 / 7 / 5. Now you're thinking that all you need to do is follow the beats and you'll be all good - no no no. For a haiku to work, we need to make sure that it tells some kind of story, scene, feeling, etc. all the while still keeping the syllables.

Here's our haiku:

The Get-Together
has got us celebrating!
Pass the Pride Flag, please!

It fits with the 5 / 7 / 5 format of a haiku and it tells the story of how proud we are to be here with you all. Whenever you're exhausted from waving your pride flag and want to take a small nap, pass the flag and we'll continue waving it with pride for you until you're ready to come back!

You'll be asked to create haikus throughout the month on random items and scenarios. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create one using what was presented to you. Are you ready to try that now? Cool! So this is what you need to do...

Go to each item and write a haiku narrative in the personality that you envisioned for the item. The personality of the item is totally up to you to imagine! Do you want them to embody the personality of a sassy grandma? Would they be another version of Chandler Bing from Friends? The choices are endless! Have fun, young padawans.

Stay groovy, folks!

The LGBTQIAP+ Family
Instagram | Twitter