3: Metallica

A X L

A X L

"Shit!" I whispered a curse when I almost hit the car right in front of me. Bigla na lang kasi 'yong pumreno sa kalagitnaan ng highway.

I saw a woman get out from the driver's side and inspect the back of her car for damages. Alam ko namang hindi ko siya nabangga pero bumaba pa rin ako ng kotse ko at hinarap siya.

"Is there a problem?" I asked, towering over her.

She just shook her head, looking at me with wide eyes, obviously flustered. She's probably in her mid-40's if I'm not mistaken.

When I realized that she was around the same age as my mom, I instantly felt my heart soften. I decided to stop swearing in my head as I quietly checked the back of her car and the front of mine. Mabuti na lang at parehong wala namang gasgas.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I was watching a video on Facebook tapos biglang may nanggulat sa dulo. You know those jumpscare pranks? Ugh! Kaya napasigaw ako, at nagulat din si Mommy!" May isa pang babae na lumabas sa kotse galing naman sa passenger seat.

I know that face.

She looked at me with shocked eyes, at tila nautal nang makita ako.

"It's okay. Just be careful next time," I said after a while, purposely looking at her as I spoke.

She bit her lip and looked as if she was about to cry. Maybe clumsiness runs in the blood. In their blood to be exact.

I left the scene without another word and headed straight to school after making sure that they're both really okay. Buti na lang at maaga ako laging umaalis. You'll never know kailan may mga perwisyong tao gaya ng babaeng 'yon na gagawa ng mga bagay na ikaka-late mo. Baka kaya hanggang ngayon ay hinahatid pa siya ng nanay niya ay dahil hindi pa rin siya marunong mag-drive. O talagang clumsy siya at walang tiwala ang mga magulang niya sa kaniya pagdating sa pagmamaneho.

Hindi naman sila mukhang mahirap, I know money certainly is not the case. May pambili naman siguro sila ng kotse. Pero bakit hinahatid pa siya? Bakit hindi siya nagmamaneho para sa sarili niya?

I shook my head like a lunatic when I realized what I was doing. I don't even know them and I doubt I'll even see her again after today, especially because it's been two days in a row that we have bumped into each other.

So, why do I even care?

I parked my car and walked to the entrance of the school campus just as I saw their car pass by. Her mom recognized me and quickly rolled down her car window to greet me.

"Hijo, pasensya na talaga kanina. Magugulatin lang talaga ako. Salamat sa pag-intindi," she said apologetically.

I forced a smile and nodded nicely at her.

My mom is the person I love the most in the world, so I have a really soft spot for moms. Ayaw ko nang makadagdag pa sa problema niya dahil lang may clumsy siyang anak na nanonood ng mga jumpscare videos.

When she left, I noticed that her daughter was still outside the school gates, waiting. I decided to ignore her and tried to walk past her but she stopped me.

"Sorry kanina. I know it's really my fault. If you got hurt, I wouldn't be able to live with myself," she said in a rush.

Just like earlier, she looked like she was on the verge of tears again. I am not really used to women crying around me, so I just nodded my head to acknowledge her and didn't say a thing.

It's not that big a deal, anyway.

She should just be more cautious next time because her carelessness could get them into a serious accident. No matter how clumsy their family is, I still wouldn't want anything bad happening to them.

"Hey, anong pangalan mo?" tanong niya sa akin habang sabay kaming naglalakad papasok ng campus. "I'm Pat."

"Axl," sagot ko habang nakatingin sa relo ko.

Hindi ko rin alam kung bakit ko binigay 'yong totoong pangalan ko. Naisip ko kasi na baka tuluyan na siyang umiyak kaya sinagot ko na lang.

"Anong program mo? Education ako. Kahapon lang kita unang nakita. Transferee ka rin ba?" sunod-sunod niyang tanong.

I am not really a sociable person and I don't like talking to people that I don't even know, especially women.

"Can you just go where you're going and leave me alone?" seryosong sagot ko sa kaniya.

Nakonsensya naman ako kaagad sa inasta ko dahil parang umambi ang mga labi niya sa isinagot ko.

But there's no turning back now. Nasabi ko na 'yong nasabi ko, so I just walked away and left her there.

I didn't see her again for another week. I was eating lunch with Jolo and Brent when she entered the cafeteria with her friends. She was wearing a black Metallica shirt, plain jeans, and white sneakers.

I think I haven't seen her in a different outfit. Lagi lang siyang naka-black shirt at puting sneakers.

She caught me staring at her and our eyes met for the briefest of seconds before she quickly bowed her head and looked away as if she didn't even see me.

I looked down at my plate and just shrugged her off.

She isn't even my type.

We finished eating and headed to our next class.

I stifled a yawn, feeling sleepy already. Another boring day.