23: Pa-raffle ni Priscilla

A X L

A X L

It was almost 6 p.m. when I got out of campus. Madali akong lumabas ng building dahil may usapan kami ni Nica na susunduin ko siya ng 7 p.m. sharp sa opisina niya sa BGC. Ngayon kasi gaganapin ang family meeting namin tungkol sa Last Will and Testament ni Mommy. Wrong timing nga lang dahil ilang oras kaming nag-extend sa huling prof. Marami pa raw kasi ang hindi pa nakakapagpasa ng plates.

Nagmadali akong lumabas papunta sa parking. Dito kasi sa Dawson ay nasa tapat ng kalsada ang building kung saan puwedeng mag-park, hindi katulad sa ibang universities na nasa iisang lote lang ang mismong school at ang parking lot.

Pagkalabas ko ng exit ay napansin ko kaagad si Pat na nakaupo sa isang bench at tila may hinihintay.

Malamang mommy niya.

I decided to keep my distance and just observe her from afar. She exudes serenity and peace. She had air pods in both of her ears, and her hair was pulled back into a bun at the top of her head. She was still sporting her go-to white sneakers and the same Metallica shirt, but this time, she substituted her usual shorts for a casual pair of pants.

I smiled in spite of myself. Napakasimple niya lang talaga.

She turned to look behind her and started gesturing at someone to sit beside her. Sinundan ko ng tingin ang mga mata niya para malaman kung sino 'yong kausap niya . . . and it's that damn guy again.

I thought he cheated on her? Bakit kung makaasta sila ngayon, parang ang saya-saya pa nila? Halos buong araw ko silang nakita na magkasama. Sa library, sa cafeteria, at hanggang ngayon ba naman na dismissal na?

I know that she's not my girlfriend and that she's free to spend time with any guy she wants, but I just can't help but feel a slight pang of jealousy every time I see her with him.

I saw the guy look in my direction and mutter something in Pat's ear. She removed her air pods, paid attention to what he was saying, and turned to face me. My heart began to race as our eyes locked. We made brief eye contact, but I quickly looked away to break the connection. I just hurried to the parking building to get my car, even when my heart was pounding like shit.

It was 07:08 p.m. when I arrived at Nica's office in BGC. The same building where I used to pick her up back when we were still going out.

She got in the car, and I can tell that she was pissed. "You're late," she complained.

She never liked waiting.

Not for me.

Not for anyone.

"Sorry, I got caught up in something," I explained.

She just scoffed and adjusted the AC. "Sobrang lamig na naman ng kotse mo, Axl. You know that's not good for your health, 'di ba?" she asked, her face showing the same impatient impression she wore every time I did something wrong.