5: Clumsy Girl

A X L

A X L

It was blazing hot outside and I wasn't in the mood. I was assigned to capture women wearing ponytails and lock them in our jail booth for an hour. The bail is 1000 pesos. Pretty lame right? Imagine putting someone in jail for their hairstyles and asking them to pay for their freedom.

Welcome to the Dawson University School Fair. I whispered sarcastically to myself.

Our school has 18 mid-level buildings in total. Only 10 of those have classrooms, so I figured I'd look for an empty one, turn on the AC, and lock myself in.

Jolo and Brent are both having fun but they know that this isn't my thing. So, when I told them that I was just going to spend the day someplace cooler and less crowded, they didn't even try to stop me.

I walked along E-Hall, looking for a place to rest. Most of the students and guests are having fun in the field so it didn't take me long to find a vacant room.

I quickly went inside, turned off the lights, and plugged in the AC.

Ahhhh. Blissss.

I don't know how those dumbheads can survive the heat outside and still have fun. I lay on the floor and closed my eyes, thinking of that clumsy girl's voice. I remember her telling me her name, but I forgot what it was. In my head, she's just "clumsy girl".

Heck! I didn't know she could sing. I was on my way to the studio earlier when I passed by the library and I heard someone singing, or humming, or whatever.

The song was familiar, but what really caught my attention was her voice. I was immediately mystified, to say the least. She sounded soft and sad and gentle.

She sounded beautiful, and I wouldn't mind listening to her sing all day.

Her eyes were closed and she was singing softly, her voice echoing inside the whole library. I tried to be discreet while secretly listening to her, but my stupid leg hit on the glass doors, making a loud banging noise.

She was as shocked as I am when she saw me behind the glass doors, so I was forced to make up an excuse just to save face. Luckily, I noticed something underneath the table in front of her, so I just pretended to pick it up claiming it was mine and that I came by to look for it.

It was a fucking floral handkerchief for crying out loud, but I guess she believed me because she didn't say a word.

I stepped outside the library and waited for her to sing again, but when I heard her footsteps approaching, I couldn't help but run away. I don't want her to think I'm sneaking on her, although that was literally what I was doing.

She was my last thought before I closed my eyes and dozed off. I was almost asleep when I felt something move behind me, so I instinctively sat up and looked at where the noise was coming from.

"Aahhhhhhh!! What the fuck?!" I yelled my brains out.

There, crouching right behind me, was a fucking ugly-ass vampire.

"Oh, sorry. Sorry! It's me, Pat!" the vampire spoke in perfect English. "Don't be scared, please!"

She didn't have to say more because I knew just from the first "sorry" who she was. I have been playing her voice in my head for literally hours now, I'm confident I'd recognize her voice anywhere.

She removed her mask and looked at me with red, puffy eyes.

Clumsy girl.

I flinched at the sight of her almost literally drowning in tears. "Are you okay?" I asked, knowing she wasn't, but of course, I still asked.

"N-No." She hiccupped, her voice shaky.

I looked at her eyes and saw tears fill them once more. I'm not really good with women. Or tears. Or women drowning in tears.

I didn't know how to act around her, so I just searched my pockets for the floral handkerchief I picked up in the library earlier and handed it to her. "Here."

She looked at me with teary eyes but she smiled as soon as she saw the hanky. She took it from me and quickly wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

I guess she's okay now.

I turned around and was about to leave the room when she held my arm. "Wait, Axl," she said with another faint hiccup.

I turned around to face her again. That's the second time today that she mentioned my name, and I don't know why . . . but I feel my hands grow cold every time.

"Thank you, ha. I'll give this back 'pag nalabhan ko na," she said, smiling meekly.

I shook my head. "No. It's yours," I told her. I couldn't care less about the damned piece of cloth. It's not even mine.

"B-But I thought you can't lose it? Kaya nga binalikan mo kanina sa library, 'di ba?" tanong niya.

Bakit ba hindi niya na lang tanggapin 'yon para matapos na 'tong usapan na 'to at makaalis na ako?

"No. Keep it. May sipon mo na 'yan, ibabalik mo pa sa akin?"

I immediately regretted it as soon as I said it. Halata na ngang may pinagdaraanan siya, tapos sinungitan ko pa.

Pero may sipon naman na kasi talaga 'yong panyo na 'yon, eh. Ni hindi ko nga rin alam kung kanino ba talaga 'yon. Haha.

"Look, just keep it, and stop crying. You're like a baby," I added.

Ano na? Wala na bang magandang puwedeng lumabas sa bunganga ko?

I shook my head at myself and rushed to the door, leaving her all alone. Ayaw ko nang madagdagan pa ang mga pinagsasabi kong hindi naman nakakatulong, at baka umiyak pa siya lalo.

At least, ngayon, alam ko na ang pangalan niya.

Pat.

That's probably her nickname.

Pat, short for Patricia?

Patrice?

Fuck, I want to know.

We always find ourselves in the middle of unfortunate circumstances. I don't know if it's fate or bad luck that brings us together, but I hope that the next time we bump into each other, we will no longer be running in opposite directions.

So many people are just passing through. But somehow . . . I have a strong feeling that she's here to stay.