Prologue

Percy's POV

After the two wars I've been through it's pretty normal to have PTSD. The ghost of his past haunted him. He kept on seeing images of the battle that was happening. Images of Annabeth's death kept popping up whenever he went to sleep. He had to remind himself that she was here with him. That was the reason he had not left Annabeth's side. Her fierce grey eyes piercing hissoul.

He had to go back to his mom. Percy did not know what he was going to say to her. Sorry for being gone for nine months. It's not his fault. A simple I love you. He is sorry for putting you through pain of thinking he died. Somehow he didn't think that would go over well. Annabeth had left his side when the van dropped him in front of the house. For the first time in a little while they were separated, and now he was here walking closer and closer to the apartment to his mom's door.

Percy's fingers tapped nervously as he started edging his way to the door that he had not seen in a long time. It felt like he was walking in a lucid dream. This was his life, but it wasn't anymore. Everyday he couldn't help thinking of that twelve year old boy whose whole world changed in a single day. Yes, he knew he was destined to fall into danger, but he did not know the full extent of danger until he was fighting in wars.

He found himself face to face with the door of his mom's apartment. He noticed that there was a little bit of paint chipping off at the corners. It was both the same door, but different. Another reminder that things had changed, but stayed the same. He clenched his hand into a fist and knocked on the door. He felt the rough edges on the front of the hand. The loud thud against the door made Percy feel nervous. He waited in silence for the door to open.

He was face to face with his mom. Percy looked down a little not knowing what what to expect. What would she say to her wayward son? Percy heard his mom whisper his name. He looked up and saw her mouth slightly open. She clutched at her chest as if she could not believe Percy was here.

"Percy," she exclaimed. A smile lit up like a Christmas tree on her face. Joy and relief poured off of my mom's face and he forgot why he was nervous. Percy was swept up in a hug. Warmth entangling me, and for a second he was a kid again. All he could do now was smile against his mom's shoulder.

After a couple of seconds my mom's arms which were encircling my figure released him. His mom scrutinized his appearance and then finally landed on his face. Percy tried to smile, but failed to do it properly.

Thankfully, Paul Percy's step-father walked in. He looked tired with bags under his eyes, but when he saw Percy he smiled. "Hey Percy, haven't seen you in a while." That was a fact, but he did want to explain himself yet. Paul was giving me a searching gaze, as if he could reach into Percy and tear the truth out of him. Not going to happen buddy.

Percy went over and hugged him briefly for a few seconds trying to avoid the invisible questions both of the adults seemed to be throwing his way. He was scrabbling to find ways to keep them from asking questions, but he knew that eventually he would have to answer.

"Where have you been Percy?" Percy's mom finally asked him that question. He wasn't ready to answer that question. Percy knew he probably should answer because she deserved that much for putting up will all the stuff she had to as his mother, but every time he tried memories kept popping up.

Images of broken bodies. Rivers of blood. The darkness that ate away at him at night. He couldn't stand it. He stopped mother earth and Tartarus as a price. A price that ate away at his sanity.

It felt like he couldn't get enough air into his lungs and his chest tightened a little. He tried counting in his head. Trying to get my mind off his memories.

Something in his gaze must of told his mom how broken he was because her face contorted into a grief stricken mother. Grief for what he went through, and grief for what he was going to go through. Percy realized he hadn't answered his mom, but needed to respond.

Percy smiled at his mom again. "Did you make any blue cookies," he asked.

His mom just smiled sadly at Percy. "I will make some cookies."

In a way he had answered his mom's question. A picture is worth a thousand words. Percy told his mom with his face a sad story of a boy who lost some of his shine.