Chapter 8

"Do you think they bought it." Percy asked Annabeth as they left the Avengers tower.

Annabeth snickered. "Yeah. Did you see their faces as we left?"

"Yeah. The plan you made up worked. It didn't take them long to "test us" and I did my pouting face and everything."

Annabeth smiled and shrugged. "I mean it's only natural that they would want to test us. They know nothing about us."

Percy shrugged his shoulders.  "Yeah, true.  I just can't wait to see my mom.  She must be worried sick about me."

Annabeth looked over at Percy with surprise lighting up her face.  "You did not hear?"

Percy looked at Annabeth cautiously.  "Hear what?"

"Your aunt Natasha called to say that you were having such an amazing time that you wanted to have a sleepover."

Percy mouth opened in surprise.  "What...how?"

"When I was investigating your disappearance?  I thought it was kind of fishy."   Percy smiled briefly.  "Fishy." Annabeth just rolled her eyes and smiled to.  It was an unintended pun.  Percy was a seaweed-brain.  "And then of course seeing you passed out over the American flag's shoulders.  I assumed you were kidnapped again."

Percy shrugged.  "People can not help but want this.  I mean seriously.  I would not expect anything less."

Annabeth rolled her eyes.  "Oh Percy..."

"Oh Annabeth," Percy sang.

Annabeth face palmed herself.  "You are such a seaweed brain."

"I am your seaweed brain," Percy said.

Annabeth smiled and leaned closer to Percy.  They both kissed for a second before pulling away.  "I love you wise-girl."

"I love you too seaweed-brain."

They pulled away and knocked on the door.  Sally opened the door.  "Percy," Sally said in happy surprise.

Percy hugged his mom.  Annabeth greeted Sally.  Sally brought Annabeth into a hug.  "I thought you were getting to know your aunt," Sally said sounding more like a question.

Percy shrugged and smiled impishly.  "She was nice, but I think she is more interested in my secrets than me."

Sally looked concerned.  "Your demigod secrets," Sally questioned. 

Percy nodded.  Sally sighed.  "I was afraid this would happen."

"On the bright side I have an aunt for an avenger."

"I wouldn't be advertising that," Annabeth said.  "We already have monsters chasing us.  We don't need aliens chasing us."

Percy shrugged.  "Could be cool."

"Yeah until you have to defend yourself from an alien blaster," Annabeth replied darkly.

"Speaking of alien blasters- Mom do you have blue cookies?"

"Blue cookies and alien blasters are not even in the same category."

"No both blue cookies and alien blasters are out of this world," Percy sassed back.

Sally brought a plate of cookies.  Percy started grabbing them and eating them.  Sally pointed at him.  "Manners," she said.

"Want some," Percy asked through a mouthful of cookies.

Annabeth took some cookies.  Boys will be boys.  They both started to eat cookies.  Suddenly an iris message startled them.  "Percy there is a small army of monsters outside of camp.  The border is keeping them out, but we need to prepare for a fight," Nico said.  Alarm tinged his voice.  

"Be right there," Percy said.

Percy looked over to Annabeth.   "I am going to vapor travel is to camp."   Annabeth nodded and held on to Percy. 

"Be safe," his mother's voice said.  They were gone one second and then reappeared a second later at camp.

Campers were running around like chickens who had lost their head.  "Percy," a small kid stopped in front of Percy. 

"Gather Apollo kids.  They will shoot from the trees...".

Percy started assigning orders.  Everyone nodded following Percy's directions.  Soon everyone was on the camp border. 

"Bring our Percy Jackson!"

"Hey meathead," Percy shouted.  "Am I going to have to send you back to Tartarus again," Percy taunted.

There was a rawr.   The archers were already shooting.

Percy charged along with other campers.   Leo's mechanical dragon flew along with Leo.  Soon everyone combined their skills and then there was nothing but monster dust.

Everyone retreated back into the border.  "What was that attack about," Percy asked.

"I don't know," Annabeth said.   Leo caught up to them.  "It was the gods decree," Leo said.

"Wait, what," Percy said in shock.

"Explain," Annabeth demanded.

"Well the gods decreed that Percy is free to join the avengers if he wants as long as he prioritizes the Greek world over the mortal."

"What does that mean," Percy asked. 

"It means that if you join the team you can't be attached to them.  Also have to get used to more monster attacks coming after you," Annabeth said.

"What more monster attacks?  Why?"

"Because you are in the public eye.  It will make people and monsters more easy to find you."

"Hades no, I already got enough people attacking me as it is."

"Stop using my father's name as a swear word," Nico said.

He walked up to Percy, Annabeth, and Leo.  "Also I agree.   You should not join the avengers.  We need to stay in the shadows," Nico said.

"Well that is your speciality," Percy quipped.  Nico glared at his cousin.

"Come on let's go inside.  I am sure the other campers want to talk to you," Leo said.

All of them walked off the battlefield.  There were a few minor injuries, but that is to be expected when battling monsters.