Chapter 2 | Fate

In the following days, Qi Mingyue did all the things that babies should do. What was different was his quietness. Apart from the necessary crying to let people know his needs, he was always quiet. Sometimes watching the busy maids working in and out, there was nothing else but a faint thoughtful look in his eyes.

Who wouldn't love such a well-behaved and clever child? Consort An always hugged him in her arms, singing songs and coaxing, and at this time Qi Mingyue always looked at his consort mother quietly, his pink lips curved into a smile.

With the passage of time, from the maids' talk as well as Consort An's self-talk, Qi Mingyue basically knew about his environment.

This place was called Cang He. It was regarded as one of the great powers of the world. Surrounded by many small countries, there were two other powerful countries - An Yang in the north and Lian Tong in the south. Everything was mostly balanced amongst the three and there had been peace for several generations and no wars.

His Consort Mother's name was An Ruolan, she was General An's daughter. She was famous for her beauty in the Cang He dynasty. She was gentle, quiet, knowledgeable, reasonable, and was always favoured by the Emperor. With the birth of a prince, besides the Empress, her treatment in the palace was unrivalled.

As for his Father, Qi Xutian could be regarded as a wise Emperor of the world. Except for his unpredictable temper and fickleness, there was little to be criticized. Even his military strategies were commendable.

Hearing people talking privately about his Father Emperor, it was always words of praise, but Qi Mingyue noticed some strange things about it. All the praises were after Qi Xitian acquired the throne, nothing was said about the time before that. Before his ascension to the throne, as a prince, what did he do?

Was it that no one knew? Or because no one dared to mention it?

Until a certain day, a quick-spoken maid unintentionally mentioned the words, "In those days... the Grandmaster..." and he was shocked by the change in the countenance of others.

Reminiscent of the "Hundred Day Banquet" mentioned that day, his Father Emperor wanted to invite this Grandmaster. He immediately understood that in Cang He, the Grandmaster was the main cause that made everyone uneasy.

Later, he never saw the maid again, but everyone seemed to be unaware.

Qi Mingyue naturally knew that no matter which Emperor it was, no matter if they were happy or upset, they were merciless. Even though the concubines in the palace appeared kind and docile, that didn't mean they didn't know how to be cruel. His consort mother was one such person...

He knew a lot, but he didn't bother with it. Within the walls of the palace, it was best to focus on self-protection first.

On this day, Consort An lay him gently on the bed and fiddled with the hair in front of his forehead. Her eyes were full of anxiety. "Seeing that the Hundred-day banquet is coming, my son will meet the Grandmaster..." Then, An Ruolan's voice softened and she murmured, "I hope nothing bad happens..."

It was the Grandmaster again, which made Qi Mingyue look forward to the hundred-day banquet.

"Your Highness, Chief Liu has brought two people and they are waiting for you." Zhu Lan came to report in a low voice. Everyone knew that Consort An was very fond of the Second Prince. Everyone who entered the house must be a little more careful than in the past and must not disturb the Second Prince's rest.

The people Chief Liu brought were naturally the ones ordered by the Emperor. Consort An got up and tucked Qi Mingyue under the quilt. "Bring them outside, I will come immediately."