Chapter 34 | Interrogation

Note: Please read the explanations in bold to fully understand the names and meanings of the drug(s).

•×•×•

In the room, An Ruolan sat quietly beside the bed. Although her accessories and clothes appeared immaculate, her charming face had worn away a lot as compared to the past. Hearing footsteps approaching, she turned her head slowly.

When she saw Qi Xutian, a glimmer of fear flashed through her eyes. Her eyes then travelled over to see Qi Mingyue in his arms, An Ruolan's eyes showed undisguised disgust and fright. She stood up and saluted, "This concubine has seen Your Majesty."

She knew that someone would come to inquire about this matter sooner or later. She thought it might be a shadow guard or Chief Liu, but didn't expect Qi Xutian's appearance. "Since Your Majesty has come in person, there must be many things to ask. I will answer truthfully, please rest assured." She had confidence in Lianxin gu and didn't need to worry about them harming her.

Now that she was calm, she appeared gentle and dignified like always, but as Qi Xutian faced her, raging killing intent burned in his heart. It was her who laid her hands on MingEr and gave him gu, even if she was his mother, he didn't intend to spare her life. Once MingEr recovered, the only thing waiting for her was death or a life worse than death.

His slightly closed eyes were dreadful and full of murderous intent. Qi Xutian sat down on the chair indifferently and gently placed Qi Mingyue next to himself.

Chief Liu lowered his head slightly and stood behind Qi Xutian. He knew very well that at this time, His Majesty's mind was full of dark and crazy thoughts. An Ruolan had become a dead body in His Majesty's eyes. But for now, her condition was closely related to His Highness Mingyue. Chief Liu only paid attention to His Majesty's condition for the time being. In case she angered His Majesty, he would be able to prevent His Majesty from letting his wrath out on her and stop him from making a big mistake.

An Ruolan quietly sat down again. She knew that since the matter of gu was already known, her life was hanging by a thread; she was on one end and on the other was Qi Mingyue. Whether she admitted it or not, her former position as an Imperial Consort, as well as those days of glory and wealth, no longer belonged to her. She just wanted to save her life, therefore, listened to Ziqi's words and made a decision.

She always believed that she had never made a mistake. Her sole mistake was that she shouldn't have spoken in that moment of panic and fear.

Qi Xutian leaned his back against the chair and stroked the hair of the young man sitting beside him. No ups and downs were visible on his face. He asked casually, "Yesterday, did you bring pastries to the Xuantian Palace?"

An Ruolan nodded, "Yes, I did take a food box with some pastries in it." When she spoke about the pastries, there was a flicker of confusion in her eyes but she concealed it.

She couldn't understand why His Majesty's first sentence wasn't about Lianxin gu, but about the pastries. In comparison, although the pastries... But it wasn't enough to make His Majesty inquire about it so cautiously.

Seeing her expression, Qi Xutian slowly raised the corner of his mouth and chuckled, "It seems that you don't even know what was put in it."

What he meant was... An Ruolan's eyes widened slightly, "What does Your Majesty mean? In the pastries... " She appeared to want to argue but upon seeing Qi Xutian's face, she hesitated for a moment, then bowed her head and admitted, "There was a medicine in the pastries, but it was just... just..."

She seemed to find it a little difficult to speak further and there was an awkward look on her face. Qi Mingyue immediately understood, his teasing eyes swept towards Qi Xutian. Qi Xutian raised his eyebrows and continued to ask, "Just what?"