Chapter 25 | Martial Arts Court

During the summer afternoon, the weather was even hotter than usual. The sunshine appeared dazzling and sharp like a sword and no one could open their eyes under its brightness. No one wanted to spend even a moment outside except for the guards who were on duty.

The swift pace of the maids, when passing by the martial arts court, paused in surprised upon hearing bursts of cheering coming from inside. They couldn't help wondering who was working so hard in this unusually sultry afternoon; it inevitably made them curious. Thus, as they passed by, they peeked in through the window and saw several princes.

Within the martial arts field, there were bursts of sword shadows and a sweaty young man was concentrating on his sword moves. He exercised each move very seriously, and there were still a few people who looked younger than him standing around and watching him practice with fascination and admiration shining eyes in their eyes.

He made a few more strong sword moves and put it in its sheath. There was no expression on the boy's face but the joy in his eyes revealed the pride and satisfaction he truly felt inside.

"Eldest Brother is so powerful!" The youngest child on the side clapped his hands, his eyes glowed with worship and his blushing face was full of excitement as he ran towards the young swordsman.

Qi Musheng took the towel handed over by a guard standing on the side to wipe his sweat and said to the enthusiastic child, "Sixth Imperial Brother is still young. When you are older, I will teach you how to practice martial arts."

Qi Ziyu heard the words and jumped up in excitement. "Eldest Brother, you truly mean it? Great, I--"

Before he could finish speaking, he was interrupted by another child. "What is so great?! Eldest Brother is going to teach you, but Second Brother is going to teach me! We'll see who is good at that time! Humph!"

"Xiao Seven, stop fooling around. Second Brother is in Father's Xuantian Palace all day long, how can he teach you how to practise martial arts? Moreover, he has to follow Father to Imperial Court every morning. Where does he have time to spare? You just want to compete with Xiao Six and started talking nonsense again." Another child older than the two bickering ones, smiled warmly, intending to stop his two younger brothers from fighting each other, but he did not know that his words caused the seventh-ranked Qi Yaoyu to be even more discontented.

"Fifth Imperial Brother is partial, I'm not speaking any nonsense! I just want Second Imperial Brother to teach me! Second Brother and I have a very good relationship. If I ask him, he will agree! I will prove how wrong you are!" Qi Yaoyu finished and stretched his face at Qi Ziyu's small face, trying to show his dreadful majesty but didn't know that the guilty conscience in his eyes had already been revealed.

Qi Musheng listened to their dispute and thought of Qi Mingyue, the most beloved prince of Father Emperor and had a strange feeling in his heart. There seemed to be some jealousy but also many other things. He thought of the words his consort mother had said when he had visited her recently. The words he recalled suddenly made him withdraw of all his expressions and he lowered his head slightly to say, "Don't fight. Every day Second Brother has to accompany Father, it's not easy for us to see each other. How can it be possible for him to practice martial arts with us? If you two younger brothers want to learn, then I will teach you. No matter how bad it is, you can look for a master; Father Emperor will agree."

It was Father Emperor who didn't care, Qi Zheli's face revealed a trace of loss. He ranked fifth, and Third Imperial Brother, Qi Lianshuo, above him had once been loved by Father Emperor, but the closeness was just for a while before they grew estranged. As for Second Imperial Brother, Qi Mingyue, Father's love for him made people both envious and jealous. When Father came to him, he had to wait until he was greeted by Father Emperor before he could see his expression from afar. Father would then he ask a few words casually and then let him return.