Chapter 1: The Moment

The alarm rang for the second time that morning, Brie Arden leapt from her bed, startling her roommate, Kristen.

She rushed into the bathroom and quickly turned on the shower. Tuesday had always been the worst day of the week for her. She had the highest number of lectures on Tuesdays.

Life in Calvert University couldn't get any tougher for a fresher trying find her way in school. She didn't have the liberty to party neither did she have any friends who did. Hell, she didn't have any friends except for Kristen who barely talked to her but she was still considered a friend.

"Where are you hurrying off to?" Kristen asked as she painted her nails. Not that she was concerned but Brie was making a lot of noise that morning.

"Class, I'm almost late" Brie said, throwing things into her bag.

Kristen scoffed and focused on her nails. Brie couldn't think of anyone more lackadaisical than her roommate.

She often wondered who was responsible for Kristen's fees and what their expectations were because the girl she wakes to see every morning showed no promise.

"I'm off" Brie announced before rushing out of her room. She hurried downstairs then ran off into the field for her early morning Economics class. Apparently, she arrived late. Ten minutes into the lecture. She took her seat, staring at the lecture who seemed to be agitated by her sudden entrance into the hall. Her stomach growled hungrily.

"Why me?" She complained lazily. Her day was far from finished. She spent three more classes on an empty stomach before she got her first break. She hurried off to a diner close to the venue of her class. She ordered for a cup of coffee and pancakes. She never joked with pancakes. Nothing pleased her more than the taste of hot, tasty pancake.

She munched on her pancake with a book in front of her. She always carried a book with her to the diner. She hated staring around while eating. Most especially, she hated the awkward feeling she got each time she stared at someone who begins to stare back at her. It made her very uneasy. She hated noticing every single person in the diner and the feeling of being watched.

As she munched, captivated by her book, the bell above the front door chimed as two men dressed in suits walked in. They both stared around, searching for something or someone. The lady at the counter eyed them suspiciously as she moved closer to the phone on the counter, ready to dial 911 if things went wrong.

One of the men spotted Brie at her table and nudged his friend. Both men advanced towards the girl who seemed so engrossed in her book, unaware of their presence.

"Miss Arden?" One of the men asked softly. Brie raised her head to see a handsome young man with a black-tinted pair of eyeglasses over his eyes. His colleague standing behind him like a soldier awaiting command.

"Yes, Can I help you?" Brie asked with a confused expression.

"We'll need you to come with us"

"W..Why?" She asked.

"Your attention is highly needed" he simply replied in an official tone.

"Are you like CIA or FBI?" She asked again, observing both men carefully.

"Miss, just come with us and all your questions will be answered"

She gave up. "Fine, let me grab my stuff"

She began packing her things while taking bites out of the pancake on her plate. As she reached for a last sip from her coffee mug, the doorbell chimed again. A lady walked in with a pair of sunglasses on her face. She had a rifle in her hand which caused everyone in the diner to gasp and shudder in fear.

"Hey, move away from the girl" she called out to the men with Brie. The second man turned around first. The lady aimed her rifle at his forehead and squeezed the trigger.

Boom!!

A bullet travelled in the air, plunging into the man's skull. Screams erupted in the diner as people went down on their knees seeking to protect themselves. The lady behind the counter grabbed the phone and fell face-down behind the counter. The other man turned towards the woman, hate and rage burning through his eyes. He made an inhumane screech. At a tremendous speed, he rushed towards the lady. Another gunshot rang, this bullet plunged into his left shoulder. He staggered backwards and lunged again unmoved by his bullet wound. She squeezed the trigger again and a bullet sank in his right lap. He looked down at his new bullet wound in his leg.

"It's over, dumb fuck" she yelled and squeezed the trigger one last time. More screams erupted as blood and brain matter spattered across the marble floor. The man fell to the ground with a huge hole that ran through his skull. The lady walked over to Brie's table where she hid under the table, visibly shaken with fear.

"Come on, let's get outta here" she said to Brie who was still under the table. Brie slowly came out of hiding, still scared. She had never seen a dead man not to talk of two dead men with holes in their skulls.

"Why should I go with you? You'll probably kill for all I know" she uttered

The lady guffawed. "Stay here one more minute and these creatures will start crawling in here"

"Creatures?" Brie said in confusion. Louder screams reverberated the diner as she turned to the dead men on the floor. They had morphed into a grotesque alien creature. Brie gasped, more adrenaline pumping into her blood. The men began to vibrate in a very strange way. They vibrated like they were holograms then they suddenly faded. The people in the diner, who were all now overwhelmed with fear ran out of the diner.

"Are you coming or what?" The lady asked Brie. She didn't have to think about it. She didn't have a choice. She'll rather be with a homicidal forty-something year old lady than be kidnapped by some ugly looking aliens.

She grabbed her stuff and followed the lady. When they left the diner, the lady ushered her to a truck. A dirty, old truck that had probably never be driven in twenty years. Both ladies jumped into the truck and the lady stabbed the key into the ignition and turned it. After three trials, the engine finally roared to life. As she started to move the car, Brie turned to her and asked,

"Who are you anyways?"

She smiled and replied with an overly confident tone.

"I'm your fairy godmother"