Chapter 8: Stranded

{Brie's POV}

I threw the third can of Sprite out of the window with a satisfied smile. The sun was gradually falling out the horizon, giving way for darkness. The evening was cool and windy. I poked my head out the window as the breeze slapped my face. For a moment, I was almost sticking out my tongue.

"Damn, I'm so hungry" Elaine griped, clutching her stomach. My stomach growled in agreement. I grimaced, clutching mine as well.

"Are you hungry?" Elaine asked with concern in her tone. She sounded so soft.

"Totally famished" I replied.

We finally rolled up in front of a restaurant fifty minutes later. We hurried into the restaurant with lightning speed. In a flash, we were sitting at a table with two plates of food in front of us. We attacked our dinner like berserk hyenas. Some customers glanced in our direction every few seconds with irritated glares. I tried to slow down but Elaine wasn't interested in their views of her table manners.

"Hey, some people are staring at us" I whispered to her, darting my eyes towards the onlookers. Elaine stared blankly for a few seconds before letting out an unnerving guffaw.

"What's your problem?" I asked with a lingering sense of embarrassment.

"Who's paying for the food?" She asked me.

"You are" I replied, oblivious of where the question was headed.

"Exactly, I'm paying for the food so they stare as much as they want but they can't tell me how to eat" she said with a stupid grin on her face.

"That doesn't—" I was cut off by Elaine's bizarre reaction.

"You hear me y'all! You ain't paying for my food!" She yelled, looking around the restaurant. More irritated glares flew our direction.

"Oh my God! Elaine, you're unbelievable" I whispered a bit louder. She smirked and returned to her food.

When we paid for our food, the waitress gave us an awkward stare before we left the restaurant. I felt so embarrassed. I guess that is what you get when you go on a journey with a crazy lady. Although I was satisfied with the food, it was still the most uncomfortable meal of my life. We entered into the car and I couldn't wait to be out of there. The engine roared to life but just as Elaine tried to reverse it, it coughed and died. My eyes widened and raced.

This is not happening.

I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself. This was the worst time for the car to break down. Elaine tried to turn it back on but the engine failed to respond.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" Elaine cursed in frustration, punching the steering wheel. I sat there, completely confused and disoriented. Beads of cold sweat were starting to emerge on my forehead. We were in the middle of nowhere with a dead engine.

"What do we do now?" I dared to ask.

Elaine heaved a defeated sigh. "We walk!". My heart skipped as she got out of the car.

She's got to be joking

I watched her as she walked over to the edge of the road. I rushed out of the car, running up to her.

"You can't be serious" I said in disbelief.

"I'm dead serious, go grab our stuff. We're getting the hell outta here" she replied.

"No! I'm not trekking into uncertainty" I retorted.

"What do you mean?"

"It's almost nightfall. Where would we sleep if we start trekking?"